Rich Man Poor Man

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
RichLB

Rich Man Poor Man

Post by RichLB »

I'm most probably the last expat here in Pattaya who has not been to Rich Man Poor Man, but I want to give it a thumbs up. For those who don't know, it's on soi 9 off Jomtien Beach Road and easy to miss since it's a pretty small place. I'm mainly writing this to let you guys know there is another place to find Rueben sandwiches (along with lots of other offerings - try the beef quesadilla). I enjoy them at Street Life, too, but Rich Man Poor Man's Rueben was more like I am used to - piled high with pastrami, lots of sauerkraut, served on toasted bread and at a much cheaper price. My sandwich was not dry and arrived within minutes of being ordered.
TOQ

Re: Rich Man Poor Man

Post by TOQ »

If you have not been to RMPM, how can you give a review ?

Just curious :)
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

TOQ wrote:If you have not been to RMPM, how can you give a review ?
You misunderstood his post. He has now been there twice, both times with me. The Reuben sandwich he refers to was his meal only last night. I wanted the meatloaf, but it was "finish." I ended up with the quesadilla. I liked it, but it was a little too spicy for me.

Try the beef vegetable soup . . .
TOQ

Post by TOQ »

Gaybutton wrote:You misunderstood his post.
"I'm most probably the last expat here in Pattaya who has not been to Rich Man Poor Man"

Ok, guess I am reading it a bit to literally :mrgreen: I would probably understood if the sentence was continued to read "however, I went there last night"

I have had the CFS and the beef vegetable soup also... Both good . I found the Reuben was a bit messy to eat and I could not keep it together. However, a knife and fork took care of that problem.

I like the food but my problem with the place is when it is loud due to the drunks, smoking at the tables and the bar and an owner who is part of all this and makes no effort to listen to your concerns.

john
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

As I have posted previously, we will try it again because the food is good. But if there is smoking inside I won't hesitate to tell the owner that it will be my last time there.
TOQ

Post by TOQ »

lvdkeyes wrote:As I have posted previously, we will try it again because the food is good. But if there is smoking inside I won't hesitate to tell the owner that it will be my last time there.

I agree with you 100%. When I mentioned to him about the smoking , loud voices and cursing of the other customers I was told that this was the only dining room he had and if I want to change rooms I would need to change restaurants.. Great attitude. I have not been back.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I would only comment on the smoking since it is illegal.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Easy to take care of. Go for lunch when you are not likely to find drunks and it is not so busy. I have never had a problem at lunch time.

I find the owner very personable but he is from Long Island so he will cater to his regulars and this could be aggravating . For me it is not the kind of place I go for dinner, but thats just me!!
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

TOQ, you were correct - my original post was poorly written - mea culpa. The times I have now gone back to RMPM I did not encounter anyone smoking inside, but I have to agree that when a popular sporting event is being shown on their TVs, the place can get raucus. It's not a place for a quiet, intimate dining experience. I relate to it as similar to my old college hangout where we all went to have a good time, eat some hearty food, and down a few beers. When in the mood, I find the atmosphere in the place fun.