Which Thai Dishes Are Not That Healthy

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Doug

Which Thai Dishes Are Not That Healthy

Post by Doug »

I really like the Thai food I can get in Pattaya. I'm able to abide some hot spice. I like eating small amounts often. I eat a lot more fruit than I do in Canada. I find that my blood sugar and weight drops while I'm in Thailand. Nevertheless I think I can do better.

I think I eat too much thick noodle with heavy sauce dishes. I eat a lot of rice. I can't find any satisfaction in the raw greens the Thais like. Are there some popular Thai dishes I should steer clear of if I want to improve my diet. Pad Thai? Pad see yu gai?
lvdkeyes

Re: Which Thai Dishes Are Not That Healthy

Post by lvdkeyes »

If your blood sugar and weight drops when you are in Thailand, why not just keep on eating what you like here? It seems to be healthy for you.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

I don't think it matters if it is Thai food or not, as long you follow the general guidelines in the food pyramid chart:

Carbohydrate group
Carbohydrates are a source of energy that can be transformed into glucose, the form of sugar that is transported and used by the body, more quickly than proteins or fats[citation needed]. A diet too high in carbohydrates can upset the delicate balance of a body's blood sugar level, resulting in fluctuations in energy and mood that leave one feeling irritated and tired.[citation needed] A diet too low in carbohydrates depletes the healthy glycogen (the storage form of glucose) stores in the muscles and liver.

Vegetable group
A vegetable is a part of a plant consumed by humans that is generally savory but is not sweet. A vegetable is not considered a grain, fruit, nut, spice, or herb. For example, the stem, root, flower, etc., may be eaten as vegetables. Vegetables contain many vitamins and minerals; however, different vegetables contain different spreads, so it is important to eat a wide variety of types. For example, green vegetables typically contain vitamin A, dark orange and dark green vegetables contain vitamin C,and vegetables like broccoli and related plants contain iron and calcium. Vegetables are very low in fats and calories, but cooking can often add these.

It is recommended that people consume 2-3 servings of vegetables in a day. They may be fresh, frozen, canned, or juiced.

Fruit group
In terms of food (rather than botany), fruits are the sweet-tasting seed-bearing parts of plants, or occasionally sweet parts of plants which do not bear seeds. These include apples, oranges, plums, bananas, etc. Fruits are low in calories and fat and are a source of natural sugars, fiber and vitamins. Processing fruits when canning or making into juices unfortunately may add sugars and remove nutrients. The fruit food group is sometimes combined with the vegetable food group. Note that many foods considered fruits in botany because they bear seeds are not considered fruits in cuisine because they lack the characteristic sweet taste, e.g., tomatoes or avocados. It is best to consume 2-4 servings of fruit in a day. They may be fresh, frozen, canned, dried, pureed or juiced.

Fat Group
The food pyramid advises that fats be consumed sparingly. Butter and oils are examples of fats. Healthy sources of fat can be found in fish, nuts, and certain vegetables, such as avocados.

Dairy group
Dairy products are produced from the milk of mammals, most usually but not exclusively cattle. They include milk, yogurt and cheese. Milk and its derivative products are a rich source of the mineral calcium, but also provide protein, phosphorus, vitamin A, and vitamin D. However, many dairy products are high in saturated fat and cholesterol compared to vegetables, fruits and whole grains, which is why skimmed products are available as an alternative. For adults, 3 cups of dairy products are recommended per day.

Protein group
Meat is the tissue - usually muscle - of an animal consumed by humans. Since most parts of many animals are edible, there are a vast variety of meats. Meat is a major source of protein, as well as iron, zinc, and vitamin B12. Meats, poultry, and fish include beef, chicken, pork, salmon, tuna, and shrimp, eggs, spices and herbs are also in this group.

The meat group is one of the major compacted food groups in the food guide pyramid. Many of the same nutrients found in meat can also be found in foods like eggs, dry beans, and nuts, such foods are typically placed in the same category as meats, as meat alternatives. These include tofu, products that resemble meat or fish but are made with soy, eggs, and cheeses. For those who do not consume meat or animal products (see Vegetarianism, veganism and Taboo food and drink), meat analogs, tofu, beans, lentils, chick peas, nuts and other high-protein vegetables are also included in this group.

Although meats provide energy and nutrients, they are often high in fat and cholesterol, and can be high in sodium. Simply trimming off fatty tissue can go a long way towards reducing this negative effect. The food guide pyramid suggests that adults eat 2-3 servings per day. One serving of meat is 4oz, about the size of a deck of cards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_guide_pyramid
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Some meats are eaten raw in some Thai dishes. There are several Thai pork and beef dishes that are served in that manner. I would steer clear of raw meats, that's for sure. Luckily for me, I can't even look at those, much less eat them.
kenaubkk

Post by kenaubkk »

Doug wrote:I think I eat too much thick noodle with heavy sauce dishes. I eat a lot of rice. I can't find any satisfaction in the raw greens the Thais like. Are there some popular Thai dishes I should steer clear of if I want to improve my diet. Pad Thai? Pad see yu gai?
if you are worried about blood sugar levels avoid rice and noodle dishes at food stalls and food courts - indeed avoid these places altogether!

Thai jasmine rice cooked in a rice cooker has the highest GI of any rice and cooking method in the world (Thai sticky rice is almost as bad) so eat only small amounts and eat with larger amounts of protein and veggies than usually found in dishes served with rice in food stalls and food courts if you want to avoid a huge blood sugar spike!

many food stalls and cheap restaurants add a lot of sugar to pad thai and other noodle dishes when cooking, when combined with the large quantity of noodles compared to the small quantity of veggies and protein such dishes are also blood sugar disasters - try ordering "pi set" or "special" to get more of the (more expensive) good bits to balance the high GI carbs a bit!

repeated surveys done by the BMA over the past few years have shown that more than 50% of street stalls in Bangkok that sell dishes like pad thai and som tam had small dried shrimp with illegal red food dyes and peanuts contaminated with aflatoxin - they didn't survey upmarket restaurants unfortunately.

on the bright side many places use palm oil to stir-fry and some curries are coconut milk based and both these used to be considered "bad" sources of saturated fats but both are now considered "good" balanced sources of different types of fats, many of which are beneficial to health, but don't eat these with gay abandon - you still need to keep total fat consumption at a reasonable level!

in many ways Thai (and Asian) diets used to be very healthy and similar to the health benefits of the Mediterranean diet - good mix of fats, quality protein sources, lots of veggies - but with modern day convenience and cost-cutting comes unhealthy changes and with the import of many western fast-food concepts the Thai diet has really gone downhill recently!

but I think Thailand still does some of the best food in the world and would deserve to be "kitchen to the world" if they would just do more to control the use of dodgy pesticides and additives!

ken
Jason1988

Post by Jason1988 »

If you are serious about losing weight and controlling your glucose level then you should follow this way of eating:

Morning: Protein & Fat

Lunch: Protein & Carbohydrates

Dinner: Protein Only

Drink plenty of water and no sugary drinks or alcohol.

Normally most men lose about 20-30 lbs a month.

Skip the rice and noodle dishes and you'll feel better. Elevated glucose levels make you tired and affect
the body in very negative ways.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Losing 20-30 pounds a month is unhealthy. Health experts recommend losing 1 - 2 pounds per week as a guideline.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:Health experts recommend losing 1 - 2 pounds per week as a guideline.
Uh oh - if that will work for me, I'll need at least 117 years . . .