Singapore - Info wanted

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
jasperuk

Singapore - Info wanted

Post by jasperuk »

Going to Singapore next month with my Thai boyfriend...info on inexpensive gay or gay friendly hotel wanted. Also sauna/bar info would help.
Thanks
Chris
Brett

Re: Singapore - Info wanted

Post by Brett »

I do not know of any gay hotels in Singapore but have never experienced even a hint of gay unfriendliness when staying in hotels in Singapore with my partner. Unfortunately when it comes to rates, "inexpensive" and "Singapore" do not go together. Most hotels under US$90 or 100 per night are likely to be a bit shabby or located further out from the most central areas. I personally always end up spending US$120 to 150 but its subjective and depends on your budget, standard and your expectations.
Rin

Post by Rin »

The websites below have good info on gay Singapore. The map on utopia is good for finding gay spots. Hotels are quite expensive in Singapore. Don't forget they just opened a Universal studios amusement park on Sentosa Island, a lot of the Thai guys like that. I know my boyfriend enjoyed it. Check out Agoda.com, sometimes they have decent prices on hotels in Singapore.

http://www.fridae.com/newsfeatures/

http://www.utopia-asia.com/tipssing.htm
Jun

Post by Jun »

I stayed here & had no problems bringing a joiner back. http://www.fragrancehotel.com/fragrance ... ld&lang=en
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

beachlover wrote:What's your idea of inexpensive for hotels?
You can get scrappy budget hotels under $130/night like Hotel 81, Keong Saik Hotel or The Inn on Temple Street.

if you hunt around, occasionally you can get the large 4-5 star hotels on a good deal like $120 - $160/night as they have a lot of rooms to fill.
I understand you have visited Singapore a few times. I was last there in June and I can tell you getting any 4 -5 star hotel at around $120 - $160 is no longer possible. If you booked well in advance, you could occasionally get that rate when the recession was in full swing. But Singapore tourism has rocketed upwards this year. The big hotels are now considerably more expensive.

Also, you mention Hotel 81 as a scrappy budget hotel Are they all scrappy? Or did you forget that there are about twenty Hotel 81s in Singapore? From experience, I would also not put The Inn on Temple Street in the same class the Hotel 81s that I have seen.
atri1666

Post by atri1666 »

I stay very often in Singapore and i like the city very much. If you want stay gay try the all in one complex Queenresort ( sauna + hotel). It was the old Rawsauna now in new place. There never needed to pay for sex only for entry.
http://www.queenresident.com/

I mostly stayed in Golden Landmark Hotel in exec. floor and never have had any problems with guests in my room. Always took hotels near the metro.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

atri1666 wrote: never have had any problems with guests in my room.
How do you go about finding "guests" in Singapore? Are there cruise areas, gay bars, go go bars, etc? Please tell us what you can about the Singapore gay scene.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:How do you go about finding "guests" in Singapore? Are there cruise areas, gay bars, go go bars, etc? Please tell us what you can about the Singapore gay scene.
beachlover has mentioned some saunas and a gay bar. There are several bars. My favourite - which I think you'd like GB - is Backstage (I was not there on this trip but understand it is still open). It's in Chinatown, is listed in utopia which also has a map. The walls are covered with old Broadway posters and the owner likes quieter older style music. When I have been there, the crowd has been fairly mixed with quite a few younger ones and some looking for company.

Cruising is inevitably AYOR, if only because the police, it seems, still use entrapment. But all you have to do is walk through some of the main shopping malls or along Orchard Road with your gaydar active. The eye candy will be stunning and you'll get the occasional vibe. Raffles City, location of the Stamford SIngapore and Fairmont Hotels, used to be one of the cruisiest places around. When I was there in June, however, I noticed they had remodelled a large part of the Mall and I saw very little cruising.
atri1666

Post by atri1666 »

Gaybutton wrote: How do you go about finding "guests" in Singapore? Are there cruise areas, gay bars, go go bars, etc? Please tell us what you can about the Singapore gay scene.
No i dont know go go bars but there are gaybars enough and also cruise areas. I always collect my hookups before in GR ( we change numbers - i have singapore chip also). Many times i was there with my thai boyfriend and we had good fun. Normally i prefer fun in the gaysaunas.
Some bars are Backstage and Taboo Bar. My preferred saunas are Queenresident + Keybox + my number one Blue Heaven (now in new location) was a few steps from Golden Landmark (http://www.blueheaven.com.sg/) - i liked the nude sundays
During all my stays i never paid for sex in Singapore
Brett

Post by Brett »

Agree regarding Backstage in Chinatown. It has a great friendly atmosphere and really nice management and staff. Never had any difficulty meeting guys there and also never paid for sex in Singapore. Have also met a couple of guys on the MRT and in shopping centres after making discreet eye contact and starting conversation.