Board Moderation

bao-bao

Board Moderation

Post by bao-bao »

This may fit better under "Everything Else", but since the thoughts came from a post here I'm starting it here.
Gaybutton wrote:
kenaubkk wrote:so just to clarify exactly - I can call your expectations, your ideas, your views or whatever "an absurd crock of crap" in a post, but if I want to call you personally "a miserable piece of crap" I need to do it in a PM?
Yes, of course. I know many of my ideas and expectations are idiotic. I admit it. What I can't stand is the people who won't admit it. What you cannot do is post personal attacks and insults. You can attack the message all you want, as long as you don't get personal about it, but you can't attack the messenger.
That in and of itself is the biggest difference between this and a more inflammatory [adjective: arousing passion or strong emotion, especially anger or belligerence] forum - and I'm reasonably sure most of us who don't enjoy schoolyard fights are grateful for it. I saw enough bullying during recess in elementary school, back in the Paleozoic era.

Gaybutton takes a lot of crap from folks regarding his moderation, but that rule alone makes this far more of a happy place than some of the others. There's a definitive line between kidding, joking, taking the piss, teasing and the likes and an inflammatory attack. Moderation that holds participants to that line avoids nasty bullying while still allowing healthy debate and a sharing of both ideas and ideologies.

For example: I may razz LMTU here every so often about his habits, sources, grammar, spelling and syntax, but I don't repeatedly wish him dead or debilitated - nor would that be allowed here. The lack of regular profanity allowed to be directed at a person is also a plus, but maybe that's just me; when I was a child I was told that was a sign of an uneducated mind.

We can kid Gaybutton repeatedly about parts of this forum and its operation, and while he'll sometimes reply in a slightly curt manner (it is, after all, his bat, ball and field) he usually takes the time to read and understand what is said and then reply properly.

I respect that.
Gaybutton

Re: Board Moderation

Post by Gaybutton »

Thanks, bao-bao. I guess there are probably a bunch of people who have been waiting for an opportunity to tell me off. Now they've got it. Now I'll have to see how many worms come out of the can you just opened . . .

I'll help get started: Some think they can pin me down and back me into a corner with the posting rules. Wrong!

You were right, by the way. This topic does belong on the "Everything Else" forum, which is why it now resides here.
Jomtienbob

Post by Jomtienbob »

GB, You do a great job keeping things relatively civil on this forum, which is why I post here and not on the more wild and crazy boards.

Keep doing what you are doing.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

Gaybutton wrote:You were right, by the way. This topic does belong on the "Everything Else" forum, which is why it now resides here.
Not a problem for me - I didn't want to derail the other thread, so I started a new one.