Andy Rooney leaves 60 Minutes

Gaybutton

Andy Rooney leaves 60 Minutes

Post by Gaybutton »

You can see Andy Rooney's final 60 minutes segment here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGci9ec4BDA . Sorry, but YouTube is not permitting the segment to be embedded on web sites and message boards, but to see it just click the link.

'Grouch-in-chief' Andy Rooney, 92, signs off from '60 Minutes'

By the CNN Wire Staff
October 2, 2011

New York (CNN) -- Legendary and curmudgeonly TV commentator Andy Rooney offered his final remarks Sunday on the news show "60 Minutes," capping a career that has spanned more than six decades.

In his final essay, delivered around 8:15 p.m., Rooney said, "This is a moment I have dreaded.

"I wish I could do this forever. But I can't," he said. "But I'm not retiring. Writers don't retire, and I'll always be a writer."

CBS announced Tuesday that the upcoming program, five days later, would be the last one for the 92-year-old award-winning writer, essayist and commentator. He has been with the network -- first as a writer for "Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts" -- since 1949, and been part of the "60 Minutes" crew since 1978.

"There's nobody like Andy, and there never will be. He'll hate hearing this, but he's an American original," CBS News Chairman Jeff Fager said in a release announcing Rooney's exit.

The original essay offered Sunday was Rooney's 1,097th for the program.

Full story: http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/02/showbiz/a ... index.html
bao-bao

Re: Andy Rooney leaves 60 Minutes

Post by bao-bao »

I used to be a big fan of his, but as he got more curmudgeon-like without as much humor involved I'd drift away from the TV before he came on. Although he did a noble job of soft-selling his suspension from CBS in 1990 for unkind comments about blacks and homosexuals [also unavailable on YouTube] that also had an effect on my feelings about his humor. I felt it was the beginning of him showing he really meant some of the stuff he was "just joking" about.

Still, I greatly admire the body of work he produced (SO much before 60 minutes) and the times he made me laugh. There were many of those.

For those who want to try something new with Andy, do a search on YouTube for "Andy Rooney game". There are a bunch of examples posted by someone going by totallyjk. The idea is you take the first sentence from his piece and tack on the last sentence. Some unintentional fun there.
loke

Post by loke »

We dont know about him very much in Europe but if I can be that healthy when Im 92 then I will be happy .
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Thanks for the youtube post about Andy Rooney. I had tuned in to hear his farewell remarks but was interrupted by a phone call and missed it. Now that I heard what he said, if I ever sit next to him on an airplane I will do my best to spill my wine on him. What a jerk.