Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Re: Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix

Post by Gaybutton »

I don't know where to buy it, but I found an online recipe for making it yourself. It looks pretty simple to me - mostly buttermilk and mayonnaise (I never did like Miracle Whip). If you try it, let me know how it compares to the "real thing."

HOMEMADE HIDDEN VALLEY RANCH DRESSING
1 c. Miracle Whip salad dressing
1 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. parsley flakes

Mix well and store in refrigerator.

What about you, lvdkeyes? I'm guessing you have a much better ranch dressing recipe than the one I found.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

To make buttermilk to 1 cup whole (full fat milk) add 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice, stir and let sit for about 15 minutes.
DeE

Post by DeE »

LKA, I was at Villa market today and I forgot to check if they had Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix (HVRDM)...But I did notice they had a Country Ranch Dressing (12 oz. bottle) I know not the same but maybe you could add whatever HVRDM has to this base Ranch Dressing and get something close.

OFF TOPIC: For you Yanks...I also noticed that Villa is currently carrying Fritos Corn Chips at about 6 bucks for a 11 oz. package . Maybe Villa has had these chips in stock in the past--but this is the first time I have seen them in Thailand.

Cheers...
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

DeE wrote:I also noticed that Villa is currently carrying Fritos Corn Chips at about 6 bucks for a 11 oz. package . Maybe Villa has had these chips in stock in the past--but this is the first time I have seen them in Thailand.
Yes, Villa Market does carry them, but only in that size and only intermittently. Several of us really like Fritos, but at that price we don't buy them very often.

What we haven't been able to figure out is Frito-Lay sells a whole range of their products in Thailand - everything except Fritos. Why is that? They would likely be top sellers in convenience stores, but as far as I know they've never even tried experimental sales. Whenever I've had a bag of Fritos at home and also have had a young Thai guest, the bag is empty by the time he leaves, so it's obvious to me the Thais would probably love them. If anyone knows why Fritos are not sold in Thailand, other than imported at Villa Market, I'd certainly like to know.