Obama Care

RichLB

Obama Care

Post by RichLB »

The US media is flooded with it and we US expats sit around talking about it, but I confess I am really ignorant about the subject. I know (or believe) that most of the provisions do not apply to US citizens living abroad. Is this the case? Are there any provisions in Obama Care that would benefit us?

Last night one of our group shared a report he had heard that promised a "rebate to anyone who had an income of less that 4 times the poverty line (currently, that would be 4 x $21,000 ). If this is true, how would it be delivered?

Although I carry health insurance while living here, some of my friends do not. Does the mandate that all Americans MUST be insured apply to expats living abroad? Does Medicare (which is of no use to those on foreign shores) count as mandated insurance or must citizens carry supplemental insurance as well? And, would a Thai health insurance policy satisfy the requirement to be insured?

As I understand it, Obama Care does not allow insurance companies to deny coverage to those with ore-existing conditions. But, if this is the case, would the cost of such insurance be astronomical?

I keep hearing that for those of us already covered by insurance plans there will be no effect on us when/if Obama Care is implemented. Again, is this true? Since many more people will be included and even those with expensive health problems not covered by any insurance plan, will our rates go up?

And finally, when is the law set to go into effect?
forrestreid

Re: Obama Care

Post by forrestreid »

I am not an expert (nor even a US citizen), but I will attempt to answer .

Under Obamacare, everyone basically will have to have insurance. As part of this deal, insurance companies will have have to give coverage to all who can pay. An expanded MedicAid will cover the poor.

Obviously, having to cover those with pre-existing conditions will mean that the total amount of money needed by insurance companies will go up. However, many of those who forgo insurance now are the younger and healthier types, who are "chancing their arms" by not having insurance as they are young and healthy. They will be a new source of money, but hopefully not too expensive. Therefore, the amount needed to cover those with pre-existing conditions will not oncrease the costs of insurance too much. At least that is the hope anyway.

I believe the rebate is meant to come through the tax system. I believe everyone in the US who pays taxes will get a health insurance rebate now.

As for expats, i have no idea how the mandate impacts on them.
Jomtienbob

Re: Obama Care

Post by Jomtienbob »

I did a Google search of Affordable Health Care Act and Expats. This article came up and may shed some light on the discussion.

http://www.collectivewizdom.com/HowtheH ... xpats.html

From what I can glean, whether you fall under the insurance mandate of the act depends on what you call your Tax Home. Are you in the USA more than 35 days per year? If so, you fall within the mandate.