White rice link seen with Type 2 diabetes, says study

DeE

White rice link seen with Type 2 diabetes, says study

Post by DeE »

"Health researchers said on Thursday they had found a troubling link between higher consumption of rice and Type 2 diabetes, a disease that in some countries is becoming an epidemic.

Further work is need to probe the apparent association and diets that are notoriously high in sugar and fats should remain on the no-go list, they cautioned.

"What we've found is white rice is likely to increase the risk of Type 2 diabetes, especially at high consumption levels such as in Asian populations," Qi Sun of the Harvard School of Public Health told AFP".

continues ...

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/white-rice-see ... 37784.html
bao-bao

Re: White rice link seen with Type 2 diabetes, says study

Post by bao-bao »

With rice being one of the most easily digestible foods possible (which causes blood spiking of blood glucose levels - not a good thing) it shouldn't be a surprise that such a starchy food in your system converting to sugar in no time at all could be an open door to diabetes - especially for someone with a predisposition for it, such as Asians, non-Hispanic whites and non-Hispanic blacks.

The US CDC did a study back in 2002 showing that " Latinos, American Indians, Asian Americans and non-Hispanic blacks are twice as likely to have type 2 diabetes as non-Hispanic whites". To over-generalize, you're born with Type I but you tend to trigger Type II with diet - fats, starches, sweets, alcohol - and in our Supersized world of eating it's just an open invitation.

To generalize again a "portion" of something is about as much as you can hold in the cupped palm of your hand. Restaurants serve enough rice for three or four on one person's plate.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

bao-bao wrote: To over-generalize, you're born with Type I but you tend to trigger Type II with diet
That is right, Type I used to be referred to as juvenile diabetes. The pancreas does not produce insulin. Type II used to be referred to as maturity onset diabetes where the pancreas does not produce enough insulin to balance the sugars.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

I am diabetic and do try to avoid bread, potatoes, and rice-- all staples depending on country. Bao-bao is right though, moderation is the key and a restaurant-sized serving is too much for me. Too much means an insulin shot and that shouldn't be necessary. Most of the time we walk home from a restaurant and that little bit of exercise is enough. Taking insulin always runs the risk of diabetic coma when you retire to bed, so you have to use good judgement under these circumstances.