Vietnamese on Rama 4 Bangkok

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
2lz2p

Re: Vietnamese on Rama 4 Bangkok

Post by 2lz2p »

The Vietnamese restaurant at Furama Hotel on Jomtien Beach Road is still in business - lunch 11am to 2pm and dinner from 5pm (I think - we were there about 6:30pm). I had the Bun (grilled chicken breast served with vermicelli with fish sauce) and bf had the Bun Thang (noodle soup with pork and chicken served with usual Thai condiments for noodle soup). We shared the pork ball & rice paper dish, served with peanut sauce. One thing I really like with that dish served here is that they instead of having the rice paper layers together (hard to separate), they have each separated by a green leaf (I don't know name). They also bring out a bowl of the same leaf, plus mint leaves, some other leafy stuff, and some carrot sticks - standard without regard to what you order.

There are about 30 items or so on the menu - most priced from 90 to 130 Baht and portions are good sized. Our check bin, which also included a large Chang beer (100 Baht), one bottle of water, and 10% service charge was 480 Baht total. The menu has pictures of each dish. Most Thais seem to like VN food as there are several dishes similar - including a Papaya salad and a VN sausage salad. The dish is also shown in Thai script. But, if you take your Thai friend and he doesn't want to try VN food, I think they also have a Thai menu, but you have to ask for it. The wine by the glass is a bit much I think - 180 Baht per glass 500+ for a carafe - can't speak to how good it is as I have never tried it there - and no, I have no idea about what if any corkage charge as I have never asked.

The name of the restaurant is Halong Bai - it is located on the first floor of one of the two buildings that flank the Jomtien Beach Road entrance to the Furama Hotel, which is a 30 something story building set back from Jomtien Beach Road (the restaurant is operated by the Hotel and has tables outside adjacent to the sidewalk and indoor seating with A/C) - going South away from Dongtan Police Box on Jomtien Beach Road it is past Jomtien Beach Soi 13 - the second building has a travel agency on the first floor and is bordered by Jomtien Beach Soi 14 - there is a large sign visible from Jomtien Beach Road that says Furama Hotel - main entrance to hotel and carpark is off Soi 14 behind the Hotel. I have never had a problem finding parking on Jomtien Beach Road in front of the restaurant.

As I mentioned, its Pho is more Thai variety, but good (large bowl 90 Baht). The other dishes I have tried there are quite good - the Bun I had can also be ordered with grilled pork instead of chicken. I find it a good change of pace and best of all, it is not expensive.
Keyvan

Post by Keyvan »

Trongpai wrote: I told him that I live in Bangkok and he said Bangkok must have the worse Viet food in all of Asia.
Very true although the Viet restauirant at the Dusit Thani is 'interesting', and Singapore has the worst Thai restaurants.

In my world travels only Sydney regularly presents great Thai [I think they have more than 10,000 gay Thai boys alone, living/working there] and Vietnamese [thank the boat people!] for cuisine outside of country of origin.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Updating an old post: The Viet restaurant on Rama 4 is closed. 100% authentic I guess did not sell well in Bangkok.

The good news is that I found another Vietnamese restaurant that is about 90% authentic. They have all the Vietnamese condiments but also have the Thai.

It's located on Naratiwat Rd. By BTS station Chongnansi, exit on the side of Oh Yim Lodge, you can see that from the platform. Stay on the same side of the street as Om Yim and walk in the direction of Silom and it's on your left. It's a small place, 6 tables inside two outside, "Viet Food" on the window.

We had 5 dishes and all were just about what I know as real Vietnamese cooking. The cook was Vietnamese and I think married to a Thai. They must have spent some time in some English speaking country as they speak perfect English. Prices are reasonable.
Klong

Post by Klong »

The place on Rama IV is now on my list of places to check out after Songkran.

Another very good Vietnamese place in Bangkok is on Ratchadapisek Soi 3. A great little place behind the Chinese Embassy which is on the corner of the main street and the soi. Just walk into the soi about 150 meters and it's on the left. The name is written in Thai so I don't have a clue about that.
blue

Post by blue »

I miss the Sriracha chili sauce at the Vietnamese restaurants in US.
It is made by a Vietnamese company in US. I cant find it here.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

When I had Pho at Halong Bay (front of Furama Hotel on Jomtien Beach Road), I was disappointed because they did not have the chili sauce and hoisen sauce as condiments, which are served in all the Pho restaurants I have been to in USA. So, I purchased some chili sauce (not Sriracha) and hoisen sauce at a grocery mart and put them in some small containers to take with me if I planned to have Pho there. However, I still missed the bean sprouts - another item served in the Vietnamese Pho restaurants in USA.

My first trip to Bangkok Bistro in Central Festival, I ordered Pho. Again, served without the chili and hoisen sauce. I think they did include bean sprouts. Again, I was lamenting the lack of these two condiments when I happened to spot them on a side table near the wall. So, I added them and it made, for me, a world of difference. I'm not sure if it is the Sriracha chili sauce, but at least it was something similar. The next few times I ate there, I specifically asked the waiter to bring them. I don't go to Central Festival very often, but usually eat Pho at Bangkok Bistro when I do. The last time, the waiter brought the chili and hoisen sauce without the need to ask - along with the bean sprouts.

As I understand it, the owner of Le Saigon (top floor of resort off Pratamnak Road), also owns Bangkok Bistro. The Vietnamese food at Le Saigon IMO is way overpriced and is not that good - Pho is so so and not served with condiments. Their way of serving Bun was also different (don't recall now how it was served but when they put the plate before me, I didn't recognize the dish). I have ordered the Bun at Halong Bay, it was a bit different (plate with vermicelli sitting on top of a few veggies with meat sharing the plate -- In USA, the veggies were at the bottom of the bowl, covered by vermicelli, and the choice of meat and/or spring roll on top). Halong Bay has changed their menu - still reasonably priced - and the Bun dish I like was not on offer anymore.
crabby

Post by crabby »

blue wrote:I miss the Sriracha chili sauce at the Vietnamese restaurants in US.
It is made by a Vietnamese company in US. I cant find it here.
"Sriracha (Thai: ศรีราชา [sǐrātɕʰā]) is a type of Thai hot sauce, named after the coastal city of Si Racha, in the Chonburi Province of central Thailand, where it was possibly first produced for dishes served at local seafood restaurants.[1] It is a paste of chili peppers, distilled vinegar, garlic, sugar and salt.[2]

Traditional Thai Sriracha tends to be tangier, sweeter, and runnier in texture than non-Thai versions, and is available in varying heat levels[citation needed]. Non-Thai sauces are different in flavor, color, and texture from Thai versions. The Huy Fong Foods brand dominates in the USA.[1]
Sriracha used as a topping for phở (note the red sauce on the left; the black sauce is hoisin sauce)

In Thailand, Sriracha is frequently used as a dipping sauce, particularly for seafood. In Vietnamese cuisine, Sriracha appears as a condiment for phở, fried noodles, a topping for spring rolls (Chả giò), and in sauces."
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sriracha is available at every grocery store in Pattaya. Where have you looked? At Saigon Bistro in Central Festival they serve Sriracha, bean sprouts, sliced jalapenos, and fresh basil as side items. Their Pho set is 80b and quite good.
blue

Post by blue »

thanks crabby...I am looking for this green cap Huy Fung bottle in Thailand..