cooking oil -what to use

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
gertrude

cooking oil -what to use

Post by gertrude »

Was cooking chicken legs yesterday..using the old Canola oil..anyway had one of my Thai boy flatmates rave on about how unhealthy the oil is ..this is going to make u fatter he said and die of heart attack "..well luckily didnt put me off eating the 12 chicken legs but now im worried about the oil.
What is the healthiest and best?
lvdkeyes

Re: cooking oil -what to use

Post by lvdkeyes »

Contrary to what your flatmate said, canola oil is one of the healthiest oils for frying. Most Thais deep fry in palm oil and, while it is tasty, it is not very healthy. Soybean oil is also good for cooking oil. If you are just frying, not deep frying, olive oil is good.
kenaubkk

Post by kenaubkk »

canola is quite a controversial oil at present - a google search will reveal as many pro articles as con, and you need to consider carefully the credentials of the source, but I think the trend is away from highly refined canola oil for "healthy" eating

try rice bran oil for deep frying - high smoke point (>245 C) and brands like King readily available in Thailand at a reasonable price have no added preservatives or emulsifiers, no trans-fats, from non-GMO crops, high in anti-oxidants, good balance of fat types, neutral taste

for lower temperature saute/fry then olive oil is probably the best choice

the important thing is the total balance of fat types eaten - even butter has a place in a balanced diet!

ken
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Julia says you need a little fat in your diet to process your vitamins. But Julia does like French cooking which is fairly rich, I think. She also loves butter. I prefer not to fry whenever possible. I try to avoid fats as much as possible. I like char-grilling or broiling. If I have to fry, I just use vegetable oil. I don't do enough frying to make any difference as to what kind of oil to use.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Ah!!! A few years back there was warning about char grilled foods. No matter what you decide to eat there will be someone to tell you it's not good for you.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

lvdkeyes wrote:Ah!!! A few years back there was warning about char grilled foods. No matter what you decide to eat there will be someone to tell you it's not good for you.
LOL. In that case I will just have to have my nutrients fed to me intravenously. :lol:
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Then there is the risk of phlebitis.
Once in awhile

Post by Once in awhile »

Canola oil is perfectly safe and is considered one of the healthy oils like olive oil. In fact higher in omega 3s than olive oil.
All this crap about canola oils being harmful is just that - crap.
But don't take my word for it:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/canola-oil/AN01281
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blcanola.htm
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/canola-o ... e-oil.html

lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Like statistics, you can find websites to prove or disprove any point. I use olive oil, soy bean oil and canola oil. I even use palm oil for deep frying. I know it is reputed to be bad for you, but at 68, I don't have cholesterol problems or any heart disease and I plan to enjoy my life for however long or short it may be.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

lvdkeyes wrote:Like statistics, you can find websites to prove or disprove any point. I use olive oil, soy bean oil and canola oil. I even use palm oil for deep frying. I know it is reputed to be bad for you, but at 68, I don't have cholesterol problems or any heart disease and I plan to enjoy my life for however long or short it may be.
That is very true about statistics. At least olive, soy and canola are near the top of the charts. But look at lard! I think my phlebitis is getting better already.
:P