The "new" Coco's

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Trongpai

Re: The "new" Coco's

Post by Trongpai »

I don't know if it's a case of general inconsistency or the 'absent farang manager syndrome' but my third visit to Coco's did not go as well as visit one and two. The owner was not present. We arrived and sat down as three waiters were cleaning tables, no one came to our table to offer a menu so after several minutes of being ignored I went and picked up two menus myself. No one blinked an eye.

My BF ordered Thai food, sea food salad and pork with garlic. He gave it a thumbs down and said it was not fresh.

I ordered the "Southern Biscuits" again and received a larger amount than my first visit but it was a little salty. I also had a fried egg, overcooked and a piece of bacon undercooked. The coffee was the same but in a smaller cup.

The restaurant had customers, all British and many old Brits in tow with their Thai GF's.

We had to ask three times for the check bin.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote:The owner was not present.
Based on that, if I go and the owner isn't there, that's when I'll walk out the door and head off to Rich Man-Poor Man instead.

What time were you there?
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Gaybutton wrote:What time were you there?
11 am. I did not ask where he was. He was 'in house' on visit one and two.
loke

Post by loke »

If the owner himself is the chef no wonder the food taste worse when he is not present, Thais just can't cook authentic western dishes, with a few exceptions.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

loke wrote:If the owner himself is the chef no wonder the food taste worse when he is not present, Thais just can't cook authentic western dishes, with a few exceptions.
I have been there a few times since the change in ownership - breakfast or lunch - haven't tried the evening menu. The owner has been there most of those visits - he usually sits at one of the tables, says hello to customers, and often asks them how was their meal when they are leaving. I have never seen him in the back doing any of the cooking. When he was not there, I haven't had any problems with my order or food.

As I have previously posted, my breakfast there usually consists of the biscuits and gravy - with sides of patty sausage and eggs. Richard Burk put the biscuits and gravy on the menu when he was managing Cocos. I ate it there many times, mostly without problems - only a couple of times - once too salty - another time, I wouldn't call the lumpy mess served gravy. Richard wasn't there on those days, but I did mention it to him afterward. Although he was not there, I had no problem getting the staff to take it away and bring me something else - I was never charged for it when I sent it back. My only complaint was that most of time, the biscuits were "heavier" than I like - but not so much that I couldn't enjoy the meal.

I was glad to see the new owner kept it on the menu. Although still a bit heavy, the biscuits the last couple of times I tried them were lighter than when Richard's cook was doing them.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I recently went to Coco's for breakfast and there's a new menu. The biscuits and gravy, 'Southern Biscuits' they called it is off the menu. They have the same waiters and I was told that they are now on the third owner since Richard left. The second owner, a young guy, had some health problem and returned to UK.

I only went there for the biscuits and gravy and the rest of the menu is uninspired and very limited. There were customers, all British. I would not even call it British authentic food. Run of the mill basic. There was some old farang guy there that looked like he was practicing for the most miserable looking person contest. I was told he's the manager. He did not speak to anyone.

I had an omelet and toast that was basic but eatable. Coffee was OK but in a very small cup, Bon Café machine.

I'll not return.

And, yes I know how to make biscuits and gravy but it has to just be an occasional special treat given the caloric and fat content of the dish.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote:I only went there for the biscuits and gravy
Next time, try it at Pastrami on Rye.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I did not know that 'Pastrami on Rye' offered biscuits and gravy. Anyone try it and can offer a review? The same or better than what was offered at Coco's? Is breakfast offered all day or restricted hours?
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

I used to get my biscuits & gravy at Coco's, but stopped going there when Chayapruek Road was torn up for repair and when I went by afterward it wasn't open - then someone told me it was closed - so never went back.

I have had the biscuits & gravy at Pastrami on Rye - First time not very good -- went back later and was going to order something else and mentioned to one of the farang owners why I wasn't ordering the B&G - he said they realized there was a problem and now they have his father (at the old location) make it for them using his recipe -- so I tried it. Very good and have had it several times since.

At Coco's I found the biscuits were a bit "heavy" for my taste (the sausage gravy was great) - but then it was the only game in town before PonR. I like the biscuits at PonR slightly larger and lighter than Coco's - However, I think the gravy at Coco's was a bit better - more sausage and flavor.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Coco's is now open only for breakfast and lunch, closing at 4 PM. Based on what one of the waitresses says, they are not very busy, so, my guess is that will be closing.