Hotel in phnom penh

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
gearguy

Hotel in phnom penh

Post by gearguy »

Just got a email from a good friend from Taiwan; he's now relocated to Phnom Penh to open a clothing factory; so now I'm really motivated to go over for a few days during my upcoming trip to SE Asia.

Recommendations on hotels welcome. Would like something close to some of the gay bars but that may not be reasonable.

Checking some sites, Manor House looks good and was recommended by a previous poster. Also looking nice is Bougainvillier Hotel.

Not looking for the cheapest place but can't spend every dime I have either.

Thanks for any advice.
vpnoy

Re: Hotel in phnom penh

Post by vpnoy »

I stayed at the Anise. http://www.anisehotel.com.kh/ It is not a "gay" hotel. They are very friendly, polite and the atmosphere is pleasant. There are 4 floors above the ground floor. No lift (elevator), and no pool. If you can deal with the stairs, it's a very nice place to stay.

Bougainvillier Hotel is right on the river front. It is right in front of a busy street so you may hear traffic, tuk tuk noises. I have not stayed there so that is the only thing I can say.

The central area is not that big and the gay businesses are within 5-10 min. Tuk Tuk drivers may ask you for more than $2US. But if you tell them $2, they will agree. I have not had anyone not agreeing to a $2 ride.
Jun

Post by Jun »

The Manor House is fine.

However the basic rooms are $42. If they haven't improved the rooms since I was there 2 years ago, that's $42 for a room which is about on par with what you might get for 700 baht in Pattaya. Of course they have a pool, which is fine if you want to use it.
Rogie

Post by Rogie »

Jun wrote:The Manor House is fine.
I stayed there 5 years ago - it was more expensive than I usually paid but one has to bear in mind that compared to Pattaya, if you want an exclusively gay hotel or guest house, your choice is much more limited.

I could well be wrong, but I seem to recall it was marketed as a gay place. Comments by others recently suggest it is happy to take customers any old how.
atri1666

Post by atri1666 »

Will test it in december for 4 days. With utopiacard you get 10% discount. Will be my first stay in PP and they also offer airporttransfer.