Deli-zza reopens - now called "Pastrami on Rye"

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Trongpai

Re: Deli-zza reopens - now called "Pastrami on Rye"

Post by Trongpai »

firecat69 wrote:I happen to really like Dukes in Chiang Mai with multiple locations. Their location in BKK was an over the Hill mall with the wrong type of customers. I think that pretty much sealed their fate.
The"over the hill mall" is the Emporium on Sukhumvit at Phrongpong. The mall is now under a major renovation, section by section. Dukes was in the back in an out of the way location. This area has in recent years become somewhat of a 'Japan Town'. The facebook page for Dukes stated that they were moving to Suk/33 but something went wrong and at that corner is now "The Dallas Steak House". I assume not very good since I've never seen more than a few customers.

Woodstock had food quite similar to 'Pastrami on Rye' and was doing well when it was in Nana but then moved to a hard to get to location off Suk 55 and did not last more than a few years.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Trongpai wrote:'Pastrami on Rye' serves true American food. Those posting rave reviews here are Americans, me included and I really love the food. They are moving I was told to a more central and visible location to attract more customers. All that assumes that non-Americans are going to take to this food.
I'm an American, too, and another who raves about the food from Pastrami on Rye. I'm always mystified, though, what people mean when they say "American food." What in the world is that? In California does that mean tacos and enchiladas, in Louisiana is it gumbo and ribs, or in Texas barbequed rib eye steak, and so on - you get the point. The US is such a polyglot of people and cultures I don't think there really is such a think as "American food". Sorry to be picky about this, but I hear that claim often (especially in reference to New York style pizza - as if that is some mark of distinction). Bottom line is anyone who likes good, high quality food, will love Pastrami on Rye.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Oh I don't know, how about beef stew, roast turkey and stuffing, meatloaf, fried chicken and biscuits, apple pie and ice cream. Sounds pretty American to me and all on Rich Man-Poor Man menu last time I was there which is way too long ago.

Stop in any good diner in all 50 states and I'll bet you find all or most of those on the menu and
there are many others that I have probably forgotten and some embers will add to the list. American as you can get!
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

firecat69 wrote:Oh I don't know, how about beef stew, roast turkey and stuffing, meatloaf, fried chicken and biscuits, apple pie and ice cream. Sounds pretty American to me and all on Rich Man-Poor Man menu last time I was there which is way too long ago.
You're right. I just never thought of those things being "American", but now that you've made me think about it, I guess we do have some things typically American. I bet you can also add hamburgers and chile con carne to the list - both also served at Rich Man-Poor Man. Hmm, or is chile Mexican in origin - I'm not sure.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote:
2lz2p wrote:I usually order pizza from New York Pizza
Now that you've tried both, do either of them emerge as your favorite?
I would have to say PonR is the better pizza - from NYP, I always ordered the small, thin crust, with 4 toppings (pepperoni, italian sausage, onion, & black olive) along with extra cheese. PonR's Supreme is very close as to the toppings, but what I liked was they pile on the toppings whereas NYP is bit more skimpy -- but it is about 50 Baht less. The only drawback to PonR's pizza has more to do with my personal taste and probably would be considered a plus by most - that is the amount of tomato paste. But I can live with that as I do like having more of the toppings.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote:I guess we do have some things typically American.
CNN has listing of 50 of them: http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/eat/ ... ods-513946
They left out the garbage you can get at fast food restaurants.

Wikipedia has a list of what looks like a couple hundred typically American foods: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_foods
I was surprised at some of what's on their list and there were a few things I've never heard of, such as Sonofabitch stew and Ploye. I'll have to admit, those, among others, are new ones to me . . .
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

RichLB wrote:I guess we do have some things typically American
I grew up in Oklahoma where my Mother and Aunt co-owned a restaurant at different times over a period of several years - they served what we Americans often refer to as Blue Plate Specials - the menu changed each day of the week to restart the following week and customers had a choice of meat and sides for their plate lunch. Chicken Fried Steak, Meatloaf, Chicken & Dumplings, Fried Chicken, etc. They also had home made rolls, corn bread, and biscuits as well as home made pies.

I spent my last 20 years before retiring in Fort Worth, Texas. There were several "American style" restaurants with two that stood out and were extremely popular. Like my family's restaurants, they served plate lunches. Also before being promoted and moving to Fort Worth, I lived and worked at the same job at different times in New Orleans, San Antonio, Little Rock and Oklahoma City. New Orleans had its own Cajun style of food and San Antonio its Mexican food (I didn't know what good Mexican food was until I moved there). I traveled quite a bit in my job and spent time at various locations throughout the USA including Boston, New York, San Francisco, Seattle, Miami, etc. Each had their own type of Regional food which IMO would also be considered American food.

As to chile con carne, I would put that more in the Mexican American column vs just American.

When I need an American food fix, I usually go to Rich Man-Poor Man - not a fancy place to dine, but a great place to eat good "down home" cooking as we used say in my part of USA.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Just had the pepperoni pizza supreme at PonR. Good, not great, generous with the toppings but I didn't like the tomato paste, so NYP pepperoni has the edge for my personal tastes.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Pastrami on Rye will be opening on Monday, March 9th. The former Espresso has remained open although it is now owned by Pastrami on Rye. This week they are having previews of some items on the breakfast menu. We went for breakfast today. My bf had BIG (12") breakfast burrito which was very good and small OJ. I had sausage, egg and cheese biscuit which was excellent and small cappuccino. They make their own sausage. Total bill was 346 THB. The quality and price can't be beaten in Pattaya. They open at 7 AM, which is great for early risers. I don't know of another breakfast that can be found before 8 AM here. I believe once tried it will become a favorite.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:Pastrami on Rye will be opening on Monday, March 9th.
That is correct. I just spoke to the owner. The new location, right next to Continental Bakery in on Thappraya in Jomtien, is now serving some breakfast items, but by no means all. Tonight and Friday are the last two nights to be able to eat at the Jomtien Beach Road location. Beginning Monday, everything will be at the new location.