Board member Allan Szivulka passed away last night

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Board member Allan Szivulka passed away last night

Post by Gaybutton »

Several of you knew Allan Szivulka. Before anyone criticizes me for using his name, it was also his screen name.

Allan had been having heart problems. At first the plan was the doctors were going to insert a stint, but it turned out he needed a triple bypass. It didn't seem life threatening. He was told he could wait a few weeks if he wants to, but he opted to have the surgery done right away.

Yesterday (April 22) evening the surgery was performed at a hospital (I don't know which one) in Bangkok. The surgery went smoothly, with no complications. He was recovering in intensive care when suddenly, without warning, his heart simply stopped. They immediately tried defibrillation, but it didn't work. They opened him up again to see if anything had gone wrong or had been missed during the surgery. Everything appeared just fine, but they were unable to start his heart again. He was pronounced dead around midnight last night.

Allan had lived in Bangkok for quite some time and recently had moved to Pattaya. He has no relatives in Thailand and was living alone, but he does have a nephew in the USA. The embassy will inform the nephew.

I do not yet know whether there will be a funeral or ceremony for him in Thailand. If I am able to get any information I will, of course, post it. I have no photos of Allan.

Allan was a true gentleman and had several friends both in Bangkok and Pattaya. He will be missed by many.
windwalker

Re: Board member Allan Szivulka passed away last night

Post by windwalker »

Sad to read of his death especially since he did everything to prevent problems. When I had bypass surgery I found it to be traumatic and noticed another older gentleman next to me, in ICU, struggling to remain alive but lost the struggle.
Gaybutton

Re: Board member Allan Szivulka passed away last night

Post by Gaybutton »

I have some further information. Allan's nephew is now in Thailand, trying to handle everything. Allan's body has already been "disposed of." I don't know what was done, I'm guessing cremation. His nephew is planning to hold a memorial service for him in Bangkok.

The time, date, and place for the memorial service has not yet been decided. I will post the information once I have it.