Where to stay in Bangkok now?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dick

Where to stay in Bangkok now?

Post by Dick »

Have been commuting to Thailand from UK since 1999 and now in my 60's, and as time has drawn on have spent longer in LOS each year. On my third BF who I married 3yrs years ago and we have rented elsewhere but always look for hotels in or around the Si Lom area in Bangkok en route to/from somewhere else or just for a "holiday". Not made of money so affordable options like the Tarntawan Place and until it closed Vincent’s had become favourites.
Have never been keen on the Pinnacle Lumpini that was opposite Vincent’s… not since realizing you needed to wait a few seconds after turning on the room light before you entered, so you didn’t see the cockroaches scurrying away. Stayed at the Om Yin Lodge (spelling?) some years back although I believe the latter has also ceased to be… didn’t feel safe or at home there in anycase due to the abundance of ants in the room.
Also tried the Trinity Silom a few times but a good 10yrs back… was OK then but a good walk to Soi 4. Stayed at the Malaysia a year or so ago… nothing special but the free parking made it attractive. So where else should people like us or rather me look at in Bangkok? Any suggestions?
Undaunted

Re: Where to stay in Bangkok now?

Post by Undaunted »

I stayed at the Malaysia hotel 6 weeks ago, it is undergoing a facelift, the rooms are quite adaquate, flat screen TV, international channels. The restaurant is open 24 hrs. and is very reasonably priced there are also many restaurants in walking distance. Taxis abound....approx. 45bht. to Soi 4 the rate was 890bht. per night.
+66 2 679 7127

Trajai Steak House Restaurant (3 min. walk from HOTEL)

Published 3 Soi Sri Rama 4 Rd, Sathorn, Bangkok 10120
02 679 7889

https://g.co/kgs/ELsRYg

http://www.ratsstubebangkok.com/(10 min. walk from HOTEL)

http://www.lidobangkok.com/ ( 3 min walk )
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
atri1666

Post by atri1666 »

Have a look at Panthip Suites. Stayed there 2 times and always would return.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Dick, you mentioned the now closed Vincent's 7 rooms, Vincent has now taken over the Molly restaurant across from Pantip suites.

http://m.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle/rest ... restaurant
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
pong

Post by pong »

You're not too clear about it, but it seems you want to stay longer time? Just like me- next visit will be the full 30 days in BKK-quite other area though.
My advice would be to look into AirB&B-or maybe even that gay-aimed ebab for private rooms/suites/apartmts/whatever. Go for the Sathorn area in walking distance of the Chong Nonsri skytrain stop. I've also seen (but forgotten where) good reviews about some ditto places off side-sois of Saladaeng rd (=between Silom and Sathorn, opposite soi 4).
As for HTLs-you only mention places aiming at gays-does that need to be?-it will greatly enlarge the choices.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Another possibility in the vicinity of the Pinnacle and Malaysia hotel might be staying at the Babylon Sauna.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

What are the Malaysia Hotel rates now that it is being renovated?
Their rates seem to have changed little over the last twenty years.

As edit: Sorry, just reread your message. Rates are 890 per night. So little changed.
Dick

Post by Dick »

Thanks for all the suggestions chaps. Will certainly look at these to broaden my knowledge base. I was thinking about gay friendly hotels or accommodations, as patronage also helps to support establishments friendly towards people like us. However, since posting my focus has changed... my Thai partner works for a bank and has just been asked to transfer from Pattaya to Bangkok to further his career. Not yet sure if temporarily or longer term. So I'll obviously now shack up with him in Bangkok. Plenty of accommodation options during what will now be excursions to Pattaya instead of the other way around!
Jun

Post by Jun »

I like the Baan Silom.