Thai restaurants must CLEARLY state if there are service charges and how much

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Thai restaurants must CLEARLY state if there are service charges and how much

Post by Gaybutton »

This is rather vague. Who gets to decide whether it's clearly stated?

Restaurants must clearly state service charge

13 Oct 2016

Restaurants are being warned they must clearly advise customers in advance if a service charge will be added to their bill, otherwise diners can refuse to pay the extra.

Nuntawan Sakuntanaga, director-general of the Internal Trade Department, said the service charge, and the rate, should be clearly stated on the menu or announced by a sign at the counter or out in front of the restaurant, so that customers are aware of this additional cost.

The service charge became an issue on social media after a lawyer announced that diners have the right to refuse paying this charge.

Mr Nuntawan said if a restaurants fails to inform a customer in advance but insists on collecting the charge, the consumer can file a complaint via hotline 1569. Officials will be sent to investigate and if the restaurant is found to be at fault it will face a maximum fine of 10,000 baht.

Ms Nuntawan said the department felt the service charge should be around 10%. If they charge more, restaurants may be found guilty of overcharging, which carries a maximum penalty of a 140,000 baht fine and/or a seven year jail term.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... ice-charge
gerefan

Re: Thai restaurants must CLEARLY state if there are service charges and how much

Post by gerefan »

They do, its always on the check bin. If a service charge no tip.
Mind you a lot of them try to hide it in small print, so look carefully.
Gaybutton

Re: Thai restaurants must CLEARLY state if there are service charges and how much

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote:They do, its always on the check bin.
The point is they have to inform customers of a service charge before ordering.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Presumably its on the menu...ah TiT!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote:Presumably its on the menu...ah TiT!
It should be. And if you bring a microscope, maybe you can see it . . .
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Over many years eating at oh so many restaurants in Thailand this has NEVER been an issue......just look at the bill......its not rocket science.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Gaybutton wrote:
gerefan wrote:Presumably its on the menu...ah TiT!
It should be. And if you bring a microscope, maybe you can see it . . .
At Rich Man Poor Man, as an example, the VAT is always added but it is clearly stated on the menu (and no service charge). A service charge and VAT should clearly be stated on the menu. I have no issues with the restaurants where I dine regarding this subject.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:this has NEVER been an issue......just look at the bill......its not rocket science.
Is it rocket science to understand you're supposed to be made aware of these charges before you get the bill, such as before you even order?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Once again, in all my years of going to restaurants in L.O.S. I've never encountered a problem such as this. If you can call it a problem it was of my own making when I didn't look closely at a bill and left a tip when a 10% service charge was clearly indicated.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

I've never understood this service charge business. Pay the staff a living wage, price the meals accordingly and if the customer feels the need to add a tip then that's their choice. No need to be more complicated than that.