Re: Changes in wake of death of His Majesty, the King

Post by Up2u »

Do’s and Don’ts of Mourning Period for Expats and Visitors
By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter - October 17, 2016

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/nigh ... -visitors/
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I was at Big C extra (formally Carrefour) I often buy some inexpensive tee shirts there today for the first time they were sold out of all black and white only.
I believe here in Pattaya do as the Thais do, for the most part they appear to be wearing muted colors, shorts and sandles ok, this works for me but I wouldn't think to tell others what is correct.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:I wouldn't think to tell others what is correct.
Nobody has to. The news media is doing that and the recommendations are already posted here.

Again, in lieu of black clothing, black ribbons are recommended.

For farang, neutral, subdued colors are recommended if black clothing is not available.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I've been all around town today from Rich Man-Poor Man to Pattaya Klang and Tuk Com......Not a black ribbon in sight......But most wearing muted colors.....White as well as Black is acceptable.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:Not a black ribbon in sight
I'm not even sure where to buy black ribbon.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I've ordered a couple of black mourning armbands from my tailor, but he's tied up making black clothing. It will be some time before he can get to me.

In the meantime I have cut the cuff off a black sock, and made a very acceptable armband from that.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

FREE BLACK MOURNING SHIRTS AND RIBBONS FOR LOW-INCOME PEOPLE, BUDGET SHIRTS ALSO TO BE SUBSIDIZED

Finance permanent secretary Somchai Sujjapongse announced today that the eight million Thai citizens registered as low earners will receive free black shirts so that they can observe the mourning period for the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej for the coming year.

The shirts will be given out by state-run banks. They will cost about THB50 to make each shirt and the money needed for the project will be part of the government’s initiative to assist low-income citizens, reported Bangkok Post.

"Although the government has said it is not necessary for all people to wear black, the Finance Ministry is of the opinion that it would be good if the low-income people can wear black to mourn for the late king," Somchai said.

In related news, the government has asked clothing manufacturers to increase production of black fabric and clothing in response to the increased need for mourning clothing.

It was widely reported that black clothing was sold out in markets and department stores over the weekend, as well as some sellers overcharging for these in-demand products.

The government said that the new demand for black clothes is five times more than it was before. As part of their response, the government has also said that they are arranging for inexpensive black shirts to be for sale at stores across the country from Oct. 21-23.

It was noted that sellers and stores caught charging more for black clothing could be fined THB140,000 for profiteering. It’s been stated that the starting price for a basic black, grey or white t-shirt should be THB89 that polo shirts should be THB179.

A Twitter user posted a photo of a plain black shirt that was being sold for THB580.

Twenty million black ribbons are also being made by the country and will be given out for free.

The Ministry of Education will also be teaching people how to dye their existing clothing black via a YouTube tutorial and will provide centers where low-income citizens can do so for free. In Bangkok, the centers are at Sanam Luang and the Ministry’s headquarters on Ratchadamnoen Nok Avenue.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/10/17/f ... subsidized
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Gaybutton wrote:
Undaunted wrote:Not a black ribbon in sight
I'm not even sure where to buy black ribbon.
Today at Big C Srinakarin Bangna, Bangkok they were making black ribbons at the customer service counter and giving them away. You then entered your name in a book.

pong

Post by pong »

Even though this comes from far away-flying over next month, after rainy season, at end of 1 month mourning:
these blackribbons are supposedly available at the many places where one can sign the mourning register (or whatever it is called in english?). Have not (yet?) seen any report of it being passed out @ swampy though. (anyone with any feeling of how it goes in TH; of course these will be free)
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I have deleted the last several posts. Some were inappropriate for the present time and this topic. The responses were also deleted since they would not make sense without the presence of the original posts.

This is not the time for joking or making light of Thailand's mourning period - any aspect of it. None of it will be permitted on this board.

As for inappropriate posting, I will ban anyone, and I mean anyone, who does it again. If you are not sure whether your post is acceptable, you can send a copy of your proposed post to me in a PM and I'll be happy to let you know.