Airbnb Sinking in Japan

Undaunted

Re: Airbnb Sinking in Japan

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

"This stinks -- and that's an understatement," Airbnb said in a statement, adding it would fully refund cancelled reservations and was also creating a $10 million fund to compensate affected travellers.

The popular holiday rental site had already suspended the listings of owners who had not obtained a registration number required under the law that comes into force on June 15.

But on Thursday it said Japan's government had required it to cancel all reservations with hosts that have not yet registered, even if they were in the process of seeking a licence.

"This is understandably frustrating, especially since many hosts are close to acquiring their licence," the statement said.

"It's particularly disruptive for guests who have a trip to Japan planned for the weeks and months ahead."

The company said the fund would help travellers who incur extra costs as they rebook accommodation at short notice.

The initial cancellations affect bookings between June 15 and June 19 but could be expanded.

"Going forward, unless the government reverses its position, we will automatically cancel and fully refund any reservations at listings in Japan that have not been licensed within 10 days of guest arrival," it added.
I can't believe the initial comment by Airbnb will help its case with the Japanese authorities! Also, whilst it has said it will compensate its listers in Japan if there have to be cancellations less than 10 days in advance of a booking because they have not obtained a licence, it does not spell out precisely what it will do to help those whose bookings are cancelled at such short notice. Will it guarantee to pay hotel costs in the same area? If so, what if there is no nearby hotel or those that are happen to be much more expensive? The cheaper business hotels can get filled up quite quickly, especially at peak periods like late-March/early April during the sakura season. What if a hotel costs three times the price of the Airbnb property and requires taxis from the nearest subway or JR line each time they go out/return? That $10 million fund may sound a lot. If the cancellations end up affecting many thousands of travellers, and knowing something of Japanese bureaucracy, I would not be optimistic that this issue will be solved anytime soon.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

http://www.traveller.com.au/worlds-fast ... pan-h10qhj

http://www.traveller.com.au/airbnb-in-j ... own-h112pl

Much clearer picture of the problems in Japan because everyone wants to travel there . The Government appears to be behind the curve and may kill the Golden Goose of Tourism if not careful!
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Another interesting article. Just amazing how I have not encountered any of these problems?

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/i ... llegal.asp
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I’m not sure firecat69’s general prediction is likely to prove true. Fully 3/4 of all tourists to Japan are from just four markets - China, South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong. And these represent the fastest growing markets. My gut feel is few of these visitors will be the Airbnb market - at least not yet - as the vast majority will probably be on tour packages.

After the next group made up by other Asian visitors, western/Australasian visitors make up only a small percentage. I suspect that this will be the market segment most hit by the government’s recent decision.

I don’t know what a mid-range Airbnb might be there, but there are lots of hotels around the country in the low-end budget range. So the only issue is likely to be one of space. Then again, when visiting a country like Japan, I wonder how much time most visitors are likely to spend in hotel rooms apart from sleeping - or a bit of hanky panky!!
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

I hardly predicted anything. I carefully used " appears to be behind the curve " and " may kill the Golden Goose of Tourism". Certainly the article and many others have made it clear there is not enough Lodging in places such as Kyoto during the most popular seasons . It is also pretty clear that Hotels in many areas of Japan run at 100% occupancy much of the year.

If Japan decides they need to limit Tourism then of course they should do it. However if the visitors who have used Airbnb in the past cannot find lodging in Hotels then they will take their business to other countries.

A few days ago there were 62, 000 apartments listed on Airbnb for Japan. I kind of think that those listings were there to meet a demand . In fact you helped me with some listings for my friends in Tokyo. They choose to use points and stay at a Hilton but used Airbnb for Kyoto. But even 4 months out there was no availability in Kyoto and they were forced to stay in Osaka. This of course was 10 weeks before the blow up about Airbnb.

Now we both know finding a Hotel anywhere in Japan can be a challenge for a Western Traveller who travels with too much luggage .My friends certainly fit that bill and looking for a Hotel in Kyoto where there would be room for their suitcases as well as them is next to impossible. HeHe.

Tokyo they stayed in a Hilton because they have lots of points and I am sure they and their suitcases could be in the room at the same time. I am sure they would not have been willing to pay the daily rate in that Hotel.

It appears there are many Governments that are behind the curve in setting down the rules both for Airbnb and the owners of the apartments. That is certainly not the fault of Airbnb. Incompetence among Governments is widespread across the Globe.

I wonder what China is doing. Currently there are 300 listings on Airbnb for Beijing. Certainly very small for a city that size but likely to increase if Government allows it.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I did not intend to put words into firecat69's mouth and so happily withdraw the "prediction". As I have stated I am new to Airbnb and perhaps I have some preconceived notions I need to revise. Certainly I was not happy with what's on offer and the prices in Taipei. On the other hand, having just looked at the first three of 17 pages for Tokyo. I found four in very good locations I would be happy to stay in! And the prices are a lot lower than I expected - certainly quite a bit lower than the average in Taipei. None of my four was more than $55 per night and one I liked was just $11 with excellent 5-star reviews. I don't think you can get a capsule hotel for that price!

So, assuming the present situation with permits can be solved, I may well take much closer look when I visit Japan again next year. Thank you for the tip about booking very early.