Elon Musk Is Doubling Down on the Pedo Thing

Captain Swing

Re: Elon Musk Is Doubling Down on the Pedo Thing

Post by Captain Swing »

Diver attacked by Elon Musk as ‘pedo guy’ is prepping a libel suit

https://techcrunch.com/2018/08/29/diver ... ibel-suit/

"A British cave diving expert who helped save the young Thai football team that got trapped in caves this summer is preparing a legal action against Elon Musk for making “false and defamatory statements”, TechCrunch has confirmed."
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

CNN has just reported the same information and that a law suit is in the works.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:CNN has just reported the same information and that a law suit is in the works.
Ok, then I am surprised. Of course, filing a lawsuit does not necessarily mean he'll win it or be awarded a substantial amount of money if he does.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Showing himself to be more of a moron than he already has over this allegation, Elon Musk is now trebling down on his accusation against Vern Unsworth. He has now added further allegations that amplify his so-called "facts" and made direct attacks against Chiang Rai as a well-known base for "child sex-trafficking".
On Tuesday BuzzFeed published two new emails from Musk, in which he called a journalist who has written about the dispute a “fucking asshole” and he launched new extraordinary claims against Unsworth, without providing documentation to support the allegations.

Musk called Unsworth a “single white guy from England who’s been traveling to or living in Thailand for 30 to 40 years”, alleging that he had moved to Chiang Rai “for a child bride who was about 12 years old at the time”. He asserted that the city was “renowned for child sex-trafficking”.

BuzzFeed reported that it had investigated the allegations and Unsworth’s background, but could not verify any of the claims and said that it was unclear where the allegations originated.

Unsworth, who said he was considering legal action after the original insults on Twitter, is now moving forward with a lawsuit, his lawyer said in an email to the Guardian on Tuesday: “Elon Musk’s campaign of publishing vile and false accusations against Mr Unsworth is inexcusable. Musk hopes to be sued and he deserves to be sued. He will be.”

Musk’s email to BuzzFeed, which was a response to Unsworth’s latest legal threats, said: “I suggest that you call people you know in Thailand, find out what’s actually going on and stop defending child rapists, you fucking asshole … As for this alleged threat of a lawsuit, which magically appeared when I raised the issue (nothing was sent or raised beforehand), I fucking hope he sues me.”
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... t-evidence

All these rambling unproven allegations come as Bangkok prepares for a massive celebration party tomorrow night at Sanam Luang for many thousands who took part in the cave rescue, both from overseas and from Thailand.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

What started all this in the first place?
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

When Elon Musk unveiled his mini-submarine, he said it would rescue the boys trapped in the cave. As the world now knows and as Unsworth would have known then, given the complexity, the very narrow sections and extremely tight turns, a rigid vehicle absolutely could not have rescued them. Unsworth called it a "PR Stunt" and suggested Musk could stick it "where it hurts."

We cannot know if Musk really thought his machine represented a genuine attempt to help or not. He certainly delayed a few days before even suggesting it. He then arrived in Chiang Rai with a lot of PR but he did not make a special trip to Asia as his PR machine suggested. He was due in Shanghai and Beijing the following two days for previously scheduled talks with Chinese officials.

Unsworth is perhaps guilty of a degree of pettinesss, but we have to remember the huge strain he and the other divers were under. Still, nothing warrants Musk's continuing attacks on him. I can't imagine the Thai government is at all happy about this latest tweet storm and its suggestion that Chiang Rai is rife with underage sex trafficking.
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

What an ugly and unnecessary mess, directly due to Musk's pique and inability to accept any criticism. I have an uneasy feeling, though, that Unsworth is going to deeply regret his ungracious words. Musk is many things, but he's not stupid. I find it hard to believe that he made up his charges against Unsworth out of thin air. With unlimited resources and an obvious willingness to act on his grudge, I would bet Musk has had agents scouring Thailand to dig up dirt, and the vehemence of his charges suggests he's found some. He obviously doesn't care who he hurts, and that he's slandering the whole Thai nation, if it means he can punish one insignificant figure who had the nerve to speak against him. Apparently he doesn't realize, or doesn't care, how much he's damaging his own reputation in the process.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

He would have an option of simply going to small claims court for a minimal sum rather than give this Musk scumbag the pleasure of trying to grind him into the ground through an expensive high profile court case.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Captain Swing wrote:I have an uneasy feeling, though, that Unsworth is going to deeply regret his ungracious words. Musk is many things, but he's not stupid. I find it hard to believe that he made up his charges against Unsworth out of thin air. With unlimited resources and an obvious willingness to act on his grudge, I would bet Musk has had agents scouring Thailand to dig up dirt, and the vehemence of his charges suggests he's found some.
You may well be right. But I suspect - and hope - he may actually be in the wrong. He never met Unsworth (as far as I am aware). He will have heard about his comment about the mini-sub and probably had a Trump-like immediate reaction. In doing so, he drew on his own assumptions about Thailand and under-age sex and trafficking. Easy to move in a flash from there that Unsworth, unmarried, came regularly to Thailand mainly for one reason. And like Trump, when attacked, he doubled down.

Three more points. If by chance his allegation is correct, what good does he gain by fighting a law suit against Unsworth? In terms of cash, Musk is unlikely to get more than loose change. He's certainly not going to get from any of the divers a validation of his mini-sub in a court of law. The fact is it would not have worked in that cave system. We all know that now.

Second, if Unsworth by chance is guilty of the offence claimed by Musk, why would he keep on fighting a man as rich as Musk? If, as Captain Swing suggests, Musk has agents crawling around Thailand, it would surely be in Unsworth's better interest to stay well under the radar and out of the news.

Then there is the fact that an American law firm has taken up Unsworth's case. I have no idea how reputable this firm happens to be. Even though someone else is paying the legal bills, surely the person paying and the legal firm will also have done some degree of due diligence about Unsworth's background before agreeing to move forward with the case? Either that, or the funder is very rich and has his own grudge against Musk.

All speculation. But enough nuggets of doubt to suggest to me that Musk may merely be blowing hot air.
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

fountainhall wrote:All speculation. But enough nuggets of doubt to suggest to me that Musk may merely be blowing hot air.
It's hard to make any sense out of this story, because there is none to be found. Everybody wishes it would just go away--everybody except Musk, and his only possible motivation is simply spite. He has nothing at all to gain by "doubling down," but unfortunately he has little to lose either. No matter how much money he has to spend, or pay out in a potential settlement, it will be a trivial amount considering the apparent size of his fortune. Unsworth, I think, tried to let the story die down by keeping a low profile, mentioning a possible lawsuit but not pursuing it very hard. Musk forced his hand by keeping the story alive; at this point for Unsworth to drop talk of a suit would be almost the same as admitting the charges are true. And I think he has an almost hopeless task in trying to fight against Musk in court--Musk's money can just prolong the agony for years. There are going to be no winners here, and it's all due to one malicious bully with a grudge.

By the way, I think the comparisons to Trump are very apt--I've thought the same.