Planning trip in February / March ? Beware

Anything and everything about Thailand
ilz

Planning trip in February / March ? Beware

Post by ilz »

Government leaders reiterated yesterday that the national elections will be held on February 24 ...
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30354429

Election day is not sure yet, bur those planning a trip to Thailand should take into account the possibility of national polls being held on some Sunday in the February / March period. Usually most bars are closed for one or two week-ends and many people go back to their home villages for casting their vote.
There is also a (slight) possibility of social unrest during this period.
Better to avoid Thailand on election days in my opinion (and also on the weeks around Chinese New Year which next year will occur on Februrary 5th)
Gaybutton

Re: Planning trip in February / March ? Beware

Post by Gaybutton »

I kinda-sorta understand why you suggest avoiding a trip to Thailand during the national elections. I see no particular reason to fear that, but what's the problem about Chinese New Year? That's always a lot of fun and I don't see any reason to avoid it when the elections are nearly 3 weeks later.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Bars and entertainment area are closed for the elections, but they are open for Chinese New Year.

I agree with Gaybutton.
ilz

Post by ilz »

Chinese New Year better avoided as it could make hotel reservations, flights and others way of travelling, more difficult.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

ilz wrote:Chinese New Year better avoided as it could make hotel reservations, flights and others way of travelling, more difficult.
If that's what you believe, then I guess we won't be seeing you during Chinese New Year. In all the years I've lived here, this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone worrying about a similar list of possibilities that "could" happen. Many other things "could" go wrong too - at any time of year.

If you make and confirm your travel and hotel reservations in advance, which is a good idea during most popular travel holidays, then what on your list would there be to worry about? I don't know many people who, at any time, travel to Thailand without travel and hotel reservations, even during the lowest part of low season.

Not only have I never seen any evidence of reasons to worry about Chinese New Year, which happens to be an excellent time to be in Thailand, but I'm not even worried about the elections. There is no indication or evidence whatsoever that the election or the results are going to lead to rioting or any other problems.

I have a friend who is very good at driving me crazy with all sorts of "what ifs." What if this happens? What if that happens? Loads of 'em. The one "what if" he never factors into the equation - What if nothing happens?
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

I was here for the 2011 election, which was held on a Sunday.

At the time, I was in Dansai in Loei for the Phi Ta Khon (Ghost Festival). This usually takes place over a weekend, with proceedings starting very early (about 3.00 am) on the Saturday with the retrieval of a magic crystal from the local river. This is followed by a procession back to the Wat in the town centre, ceremonies there, and another small procession through town. All over for Saturday by about mid-day then, the following day, the main procession through town starting in the early afternoon followed by a Mor Lam in the town centre which goes on until very, very late.

Well, this year, the police went round town at about 5.00 pm (ie giving only 10 hours notice!) and gave instructions that there would be no parade and no street party on the Sunday because of the election. Phi Ta Khon would all have to be condensed into one day!

Remarkably, the good people of Dansai managed to do just that (how, I do not know). I made it through from about 2.30 am to 9.30 at night then conceded defeat and returned to the hotel.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Regarding the Chinese New Year, the alternative question is where best to be during that ? (if one IS on holiday in SE Asia)
I'm just intending to book in advance & possibly avoid the places most popular with Chinese visitors. Maybe avoid Vietnam too.

As for the election, I doubt that would be a prolonged disruption, unless the red shirt-yellow shirt battle kicks off particularly quickly.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

ceejay wrote:At the time, I was in Dansai in Loei for the Phi Ta Khon (Ghost Festival).
Although on a slight tangent, I was at the Dansai Ghost Festival in 2014. It is a fabulous week-end. For anyone interested there is a report and photos here -

http://gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php? ... sai#p84241
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I live in Thailand and have never encounted any problems unique to Chinese New Year. The only problem I can see is more Chinese and the fucking buses that take them around. As for elections, well I was here through some coups and unless you were in Bangkok you wouldn't have noticed anything!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"