Yet Another Immigration Question

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Yet Another Immigration Question

Post by Gaybutton »

The point is we don't know squat whether the USA embassy is going to change anything about issuing proof-of-income statements, whether immigration will continue to accept them, and if obtaining the retirement visa via proof-of-income statements will continue or become history.

To me, the only logical question at this point is if, for whatever reason, the proof-of-income statement will no longer get the retirement visa, then what will immigration accept as an alternative?

I'd like to find that out now, but not necessarily based on the proof-of-income statement. If there are alternatives, I'd like to be able to avoid having to go to the embassy or an outreach and avoid having to pay the embassy the fee if there is something else immigration will accept.

Again, if before I go to immigration nobody finds out if there are alternatives to the proof-of-income statement already in existence, then I'll try to find out in December when I go.

Any problem about that?

Uh-oh, now we're on the 8th page. Undaunted, are you having a hissy fit . . . ?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Knock yourself out.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:Knock yourself out.
Not knock myself out. Merely find out.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Further clarification:

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:Further clarification
It's an interesting video, but I don't see how it clarifies anything. I don't know who this person is, who he speaks for, or who he represents. I'm sorry, but at least for me, clarification does not come from some guy on a YouTube video. It's going to have to come from official Thai immigration sources - and so far there is nothing.

For me, the only true clarification will come from what immigration will or will not accept as proof of income. Until we know that, as far as I'm concerned nothing is clear at all.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: For me, the only true clarification will come from what immigration will or will not accept as proof of income. Until we know that, as far as I'm concerned nothing is clear at all.
The video notes the British Embassy states the U.S. Embassy is expected to follow suit.....Canadian Embassy plans no changes.

Thai immigration without an official statement has no value....The British Embassy spokeswoman noted their first reason for the change was they did not want to have co-liability for false paperwork this again was the decision of the embassy not Thai immigration. If someone is concerned I suggest they ask their embassy directly!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:The video notes the British Embassy states the U.S. Embassy is expected to follow suit
Which is precisely why I keep saying we need to find out what, if anything, immigration will accept as proof of income if that happens. As I said, Thailand's law about a 65,000 baht minimum monthly income hasn't changed, so if that happens it's going to be either the 800,000 baht in the bank or an alternative way to prove monthly income.

Many can easily meet the minimum monthly income, but don't have 800,000 baht all at one time to keep in a Thai bank.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

First we need a definitve answer from the U.S. embassy if they will in fact change their existing policy if so how, second immigration hasn't said anything so I think we are putting the horse behind the cart , and yes immigration at some point if the embassy changes policy must state what financial evidence is acceptable or does everyone need a Thai acct. with 800,000 bht.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Undaunted wrote:
Gaybutton wrote: For me, the only true clarification will come from what immigration will or will not accept as proof of income. Until we know that, as far as I'm concerned nothing is clear at all.
The video notes the British Embassy states the U.S. Embassy is expected to follow suit.....Canadian Embassy plans no changes.

Thai immigration without an official statement has no value....The British Embassy spokeswoman noted their first reason for the change was they did not want to have co-liability for false paperwork this again was the decision of the embassy not Thai immigration. If someone is concerned I suggest they ask their embassy directly!
I agree fully with GB''s comment that the bottom line is what Thai Immigration will or will not accept.

The video was made by someone re-hashing what has already been published by the British Embassy, written on ThaiVisa about their contact with the British Embassy and fm103's interview with a person at the British Embassy. As to the US Embassy, other than responding to their "Warden" (now have a different title) that they are in essence studying the situation, there is no other reliable source on what the US Embassy may or may not do. There are only a couple of items in the video that touch on the point - one is the "response" from the British Embassy that ThaiVisa says they received to their inquiry and the other is in the fm103 interview, which are conflicting. The response stated by ThaiVisa is that the US Embassy would follow suit, BUT in the interview, the British Embassy person says they cannot speak as to what other embassies may or may not do.

But, does it really matter what the an Embassy will do regarding "income letters"? No, it doesn't - what matters is what Thai Immigration does regarding what they will accept as proof of monthly income - this could be the Embassy letter only, the Embassy letter along with other documentation to back up the amounts shown in the letter, or in the absence of the availability of an Embassy letter documentation from your Thai bank or other evidence. That currently is an unknown and will remain so until Thai Immigration decides what they will do about the verification issue.
daherk

Post by daherk »

I arrived Monday at 10 am to renew my Retirement Visa using my Income Letter from the US embassy, no problems with income letter, left at 10:30. Picked up new Retirement Visa at 9:30 am Wednesday (Immigration closed Tuesday). Copied new visa (3 baht inside immigration) applied for a multiple entry visa - 15 minutes and then did my 90 day report out by 10 am... what a snap.