Evangelical Bible Thumper Shown to be a Scam Artists

fountainhall

Evangelical Bible Thumper Shown to be a Scam Artists

Post by fountainhall »

I guess I need a definition of 'scam'. Literally it's a fraud, a swindle, a trick, a racket . . .

The Bible Museum in Washington DC is no stranger to controversy. Founded at a cost of %500 million by the evangelical Christian billionaire Steve Green, last year Green's company had to pay a fine of $3 million and return thousands of artefacts smuggled illegally out of Iraq. Now his museum has been forced to withdraw its prized exhibit, fragments of what were claimed to be the Dead Sea Scrolls. The Museum had sent 5 of its 16 fragments for analysis testing. Guess what? The lab returned the fragments with a note stating categorically that they had "characteristics inconsistent with ancient origin".

I'd have thought that any Museum alleging authenticity would have sent samples for testing before putting them on display. But then there have been many other incidents of evangelicals getting caught with their pants down!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45948986
Undaunted

Re: Evangelical Bible Thumper Shown to be a Scam Artists

Post by Undaunted »

This is one of my favorite:

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Great video, Undaunted.

Of course, many of them sinned like hell and eventually were found out. Some ended up in jail, like Jim Bakker convicted of massive accounting fraud. A New Yorker article in 1990 stated that Bakker and his hideous wife Tammy Faye, whose real face was rarely seen under acres of make-up, claimed they
personified the most characteristic excesses of the nineteen-eighties—the greed, the love of glitz, and the shamelessness—which in their case were so pure as to almost amount to a kind of innocence.
At least he ended up in jail. Two years earlier the notoriously homophonic Jerry Falwell had called Bakker
a liar, an embezzler, a sexual deviant, and "the greatest scab and cancer on the face of Christianity in 2,000 years of church history."
Oh, the love of one evangelist for another! Falwell, it will be remembered
claimed that the purple Teletubby named Tinky Winky was intended as a gay role model
The one I like best was the Oscar-worthy speech given by the equally horrific Jimmy Swaggart who had been exposed after cavorting with a prostitute in 1988. He then made this famous apology to his flock -

But once you taste the forbidden fruit, Swaggart found it difficult to give it up. He was found again cavorting with a prostitute in 1991. Yet he's still on the evangelising kick, as are his wife and two children. How some of the American public fall for these charlatans totally beats me!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I can't find the video, if it still exists, but the late satirist sang the following song dedicated to Jim and Tammy Bakker, their PTL (Praise the Lord Club), and their fraudulent Heritage USA theme park. I still remember it,

ImageImage

To the tune of "It's a Small Small World":

Come with us, be born again
In Jim and Tammy land, amen
We pray to St. Mercedes Benz
In Jim and Tammy land

Come to Jim and Tammy Bakker land
Where a hotel room costs 100 grand
Send your check to PTL
And if you don't, then go to Hell
In Jim and Tammy land

George Carlin, in my opinion, says it best:

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Pastor talking with god on his cell phone:

https://youtu.be/9nW0sm86VNM
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

You'd think after his 8 years in jail Jim Bakker would have seen the error of his ways. Not a bit of it! He's still on television and still making dumb predictions. Funny thing, old Jim. God got your wondrous prediction about a dreadful event at the Olympics all wrong! Dial Him up on your cellphone and find out why He gave you stupid advice, old son1

He wasn't exactly on the ball re North Korea either, was He? Watch from 1'44"

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:You'd think after his 8 years in jail Jim Bakker would have seen the error of his ways.
Meanwhile he is still raking in money from the idiots.