Pattaya Immigration Update Today Oct.31

Anything and everything about Thailand
Up2u

Re: Pattaya Immigration Update Today Oct.31

Post by Up2u »

I know the young man at Immigration in question, he is not an Immigration officer, he is not uniformed, he is a helper. He checks the documents and tells you that you need copies of this or that. Yes, he speaks English pretty good but welcome to the land of miscommunication. If he was asked today, if I show up on December 31 with my embassy affadavit letter will I have a problem with my annual retirement extension? ; he wouldn't know the answer.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Undaunted wrote:Shame on you both for perpetuating histeria with no real facts coming from The Thai Immigration authority, you know as well as I do that untill an offical statement of policy is realeased the likelyhood of getting an accurate answer that all immgration offices adhere to is very unlikely.
Reporting information from those working at the Immigration office is not exactly my definition of "hysterical". I see nothing wrong in informing readers of this site to be prepared for changes which may or may not "officially" take place. By the way, are you aware this site provides a spell checking function?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

RichLB wrote: By the way, are you aware this site provides a spell checking function?
It would be nice if it also provided a fact check function!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

No, Undaunted is right. When the man who conducts the document checks at immigration for the retirement visa point blank tells you, and then you post it, that was very wrong. You and I should have kept it secret, to ourselves, and told no one. Ohhhh, I feel soooo ashamed.

Would everyone who became hysterical when you saw RichLB's post please respond so that I can at least have something to be ashamed about?

Ok, Undaunted, if you want to have the last word, it's all yours. Then we're moving on.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

RichLB wrote:
Undaunted wrote:Shame on you both for perpetuating histeria with no real facts coming from The Thai Immigration authority, you know as well as I do that untill an offical statement of policy is realeased the likelyhood of getting an accurate answer that all immgration offices adhere to is very unlikely.
Reporting information from those working at the Immigration office is not exactly my definition of "hysterical". I see nothing wrong in informing readers of this site to be prepared for changes which may or may not "officially" take place. By the way, are you aware this site provides a spell checking function?
If this "information" came from someone of authority then it would have value. It's part of Thai cultural for those "in the know" not to share knowledge with subordinates and underlings. If this "information" were documented, pictures, handouts, etc. then it would have some merit, otherwise it simply adds to the speculation and rumor pile.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:If this "information" came from someone of authority then it would have value.
It did come from someone in authority. It is pointless to argue with us about it. Go argue with him.

RichLB reported what he was told and I stand behind him for having reported it. He did the right thing by reporting it. It would have been wrong for him not to have reported it.

People can do what they want with what he reported. People can go to immigration and check it out or they can just ignore it. But if someone has been told something directly by an immigration official who handles the retirement visas, I want it reported. I want the information and I'll decide for myself what to do with it. What I don't want is someone else deciding for everybody else that it is provoking hysteria or is dinner gossip.

You said, "If he was asked today, if I show up on December 31 with my embassy affadavit letter will I have a problem with my annual retirement extension? ; he wouldn't know the answer."

How would you know? Go ask him that very question and prove RichLB wrong.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Gaybutton wrote:
Up2u wrote:If this "information" came from someone of authority then it would have value.
It did come from someone in authority. It is pointless to argue with us about it. Go argue with him.
As I mentioned earlier this young man is not an officer but a grunt, an administrative aide. He knows nothing official. These kinds of posts add nothing to the discussion but do feed the rumor mill and typical of the the bar stool banter posts you read on Thaivisa. Enough said, let's move on.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:As I mentioned earlier this young man is not an officer but a grunt, an administrative aide.
I'll be the one who decides when it's enough said, thank you very much.

I have no idea what that man's official position is and it doesn't matter, unless you have some evidence that what he told RichLB is something he was just making up. I don't care if he's wearing a uniform or sitting there in his skivvies. This is what he told RichLB and RichLB reported it. What's the part that RichLB did wrong?

If you go to immigration, apply for the retirement visa, and this person tells you your documentation is invalid - the same man who does this all day, every day - what are you going to do about it?

Like I said, if you think RichLB's information is worthless information, be my guest. Instead of going to immigration and checking it out, go right ahead and ignore it.

However, since you said, "I know the young man at Immigration in question," next time you talk to him, perhaps you can ask him why he told this to RichLB, especially if it isn't true.

If it had been you who had spoken to him and he had told you what he told RichLB, what would you have done? Just assume it was nonsense and he doesn't know what he's talking about, so therefore keep it to yourself or would you have let us know what he told you?

NOW it's enough said . . .
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Time for me to whip up hysteria again and cause more shame upon myself.

Barry Kenyon, former British Consul in Pattaya, sent the following letter-to-the-editor to today's (November 2) Pattaya Mail.

Before anyone lectures me to tell me all about how Mr. Kenyon is not an immigration official, few can dispute the fact that he has close ties with Pattaya Immigration and knows what he is talking about. He would have absolutely no reason to make it up.

Now both the immigration man RichLB spoke with and Barry Kenyon are saying essentially the same thing. Make of it as you will, but now this is coming from TWO credible sources.

Supposedly the embassies are negotiating with Thai immigration about acceptable means for proof of income, but apparently until an agreement is reached and put into place, to me it certainly looks like for the time being it's either the 800,000 baht or no retirement visa.

Again, I would suggest anyone who might be affected go to immigration and find out if and how you will be affected and what you can do.

No ambiguity

November 2, 2018

Editor;

Re Rodney Girvan’s letter, October 26, there isn’t any of the ambiguity suggested. If you are an American or Brit, your embassy will soon stop “verification” of your income.

Your only choice will be to put the required lump sum in a Thai bank account well in advance of your application date. Period.

Will other foreign embassies follows suit? Nobody knows for sure. Will immigration change its policy? Likewise.

Barry Kenyon

http://www.pattayamail.com/mailbag/no-ambiguity-229347