The Dead and Dying Malls of Pattaya

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

The Dead and Dying Malls of Pattaya

Post by Undaunted »

1. Royal Garden....12 vacancies...once the one and only
2. The Avenue
3. Harbor mall (next to Foodland Pattaya Klang)
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: The Dead and Dying Malls of Pattaya

Post by Gaybutton »

Too many shopping malls. There are more shopping malls than there are enough people to be shopping in all of them.

I still go to The Avenue once in a while, but mainly I go only when I'm going to Villa Market. Now that a second Villa Market is about to open in a location convenient to me, if I go to The Avenue again at all, it will be only rarely.

Royal Garden - the last time I went there was about 2 years ago. The traffic makes it a pain to get to from my location and there's not much in there that I can't find just as easily somewhere else.

Harbor Mall - guess what. I've never been in there. So far I just drive right by. Maybe one of these days I'll stop in for a look, but quite frankly I don't expect to find anything particularly exciting that will cause me to regret not having gone before.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:Too many shopping malls.
This is not a bad thing. If there was just one mall, the rents would be high, prices would be high and it would be severely crowded.

Competition is usually helpful
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:Competition is usually helpful
Yes, but we're talking about Thailand - the place where if the bars are not getting enough customers, the solution is to raise the prices . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Jun wrote:Competition is usually helpful
Yes, but we're talking about Thailand - the place where if the bars are not getting enough customers, the solution is to raise the prices . . .
Customers of bars might not negotiate, but if there is a new mall, H&M, Gap & all the rest of them will negotiate over prices.

In the UK, it's now fairly common for retailers to negotiate lower rents upon renewal, as demand is falling due to on line shopping. I doubt internet shopping has caught on to the same extent in Thailand, but excess supply of shopping malls should have the same effect. Well, to an extent.

What we are unlikely to see is any of the flashy brands moving into one of those scruffy Mikes malls. Maybe they should do the costing on converting the upper floors to a hotel.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Jun wrote: What we are unlikely to see is any of the flashy brands moving into one of those scruffy Mikes malls. Maybe they should do the costing on converting the upper floors to a hotel.
There are 2 Mikes malls one near Boystown one near soi Diana. The one near soi Diana has closed and is being converted to Mike's hotel.
aussie

Post by aussie »

My friend works in a previously busy cafe at Central Festival and says they are very quiet now since Terminal 21 has opened. There were many tourists at Terminal 21 yesterday which will be ongoing with all the photo opportunities, large range of restaurants and other facilities so it will effect the other malls.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

The only reason I had to go to Central was for Carls jr which I thought was the best of the fast food burgers but now that Arno's made to order burgers is @ Terminal 21......goodbye Carl's goodbye Central.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Arno's is also good for steaks. You pick out on from the meat counter and they cook it to your specifications. There's lot of different cuts, some like the 120 day aged sirloin is pricey but there's more economical options. The sides though are limited and unimaginable. I just picked up a few steaks raw to take home and cook.

Arno's started at a small place on a side road around Rama 3 in Bangkok and then expanded. They do a good business at all their locations.

Dying malls is just the natural evolution of urban retail markets. As a kid I remember the excitement of going to this new shopping concept. It was a climate controlled mini city. It was the future and then it became the past rather quickly.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

GWMinUS wrote:I have discovered Lazada in the Philippines.
Undaunted told me about Lazada on a post on this board when I was unsuccessfully trying to find an item locally (See: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8624 ).

I had never heard of Lazada, but they had what I was looking for. Many hard to find items are on Lazada.

They delivered to my door exactly when they said they would, so I am pleased with Lazada and grateful to Undaunted for telling me about them.

https://www.lazada.co.th

I have since bought a few items from Lazada and am satisfied with all.

I've ordered airline tickets online, sometimes food delivery online from places such as KFC, Amin Tandoori, Pattaya Meals, etc. I've had no problem with any of them.

Other than that, Lazada is the only online ordering I have done.