Plastic bags on their way out

Anything and everything about Thailand
windwalker

Re: Plastic bags on their way out

Post by windwalker »

fountainhall wrote:As for bin liners, let's face it they're cheap.
And what are these cheap bin liners made of ? Not plastic, I trust?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Obviously far more plastics besides plastic bags are the problem. A lot of plastic is recyclable. My drinking water comes in plastic containers. When they're empty I put them into my trash bin outside. Usually within an hour the garbage pickers have been there and took them. When they've collected enough of them they take them to a recycling center and are paid - not very much, but they are paid. That's an incentive.

If there was some sort of cash incentive for people to properly dispose of all plastics so they could be recycled, that would certainly help the pollution problem. Plastic bags came into use about 60 years ago. Imagine what the plastic pollution will be like if the problem continues unchecked for another 60 years.

Only today I went to a grocery store. I brought my fabric shopping bag. Not exactly a big problem to bring it into the store, put it in my shopping basket, and have the cashier put everything into the fabric bag instead of plastic bags. If you're buying so much that a fabric shopping bag won't hold it all, you know what to do? Bring two of them . . .

If anyone really wants to complain about doing that, go right ahead. With me, for one, that complaint will fall on unsympathetic deaf ears.

windwalker wrote:And what are these cheap bin liners made of ? Not plastic, I trust?
https://www.google.co.th/search?hl=en-T ... can+liners
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

A country bans plastic bags jail time if caught:

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Nongprue is the district of East Pattaya - aka "The Dark Side."

Nongprue renews push for residents to drop foam use

By Warapun Jaikusol

November 23, 2018

Nongprue has launched another campaign to try to get residents to stop using plastic and foam containers.

Mayor Mai Chaiyanit opened the latest PR push at the Rai Wanasin Market with sub-district officials and residents.

Plastic and foam have become major environmental problems and solutions are required to systematically and properly managing their effects on people and environment.

Foam and plastic take 800 years and 450 years to degrade, respectively. As a result, they create problems regarding elimination due to high costs and the requirement for many landfill areas that become breeding grounds for insects and disease carriers.

Therefore, Nongprue is pushing for residents to reduce waste, avoid and quitting using foam and plastic food containers.

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/nongpru ... use-234033
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

windwalker wrote:
fountainhall wrote:As for bin liners, let's face it they're cheap.
fountainhall, what are those bin liners made from? Recycled plastic, biodegradable plastic, compostable materials or what? Where can I purchase them?
James the First

Post by James the First »

The biodegradable bin liners say so on the liner and usually also have a green leaf on them somewhere. These are made from plant material.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I mostly get them from Hong Kong as I am there 3 or 4 times a year and at least two of the supermarket chains sell biodegradable liners. There is one close to the hotel I stay at. A pack of 30 costs around HK$24 - about Bt. 100. I can bring some back for you in January if you wish. Once when i ran out I got some from the supermarket at Central Chidlom and was told they are biodegradable, but since the wording is in Thai I cannot vouch for them.
Jun

Post by Jun »

fountainhall wrote:This in a city where, when backseat belts were introduced in cars, the public was given just two weeks to start wearing them. If caught without one on, the fines were pretty steep for both passenger and driver.
Anyone who takes the time to think about it would wear a seat belt in the back seat anyway. It's the same as sitting in the front, except you might survive for a couple more milliseconds.

As for plastic bags, well ever since England introduced a 5p mandatory charge for plastic bags (a few years after Wales), I just kept all the free plastic bags I was given in Thailand. I'm all for charging for the bags, as it encourages better behaviour.
Although I'm not entirely sure if flying a few hundred grammes of plastic bags back from Thailand is a net gain or loss for the environment.

In the long run, I think the planet is screwed anyway due to excessive population growth.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Jun wrote:Anyone who takes the time to think about it would wear a seat belt in the back seat anyway. It's the same as sitting in the front, except you might survive for a couple more milliseconds
Quite agree, but then I learned the hard way. About 25 years ago I was in the backseat of a car with a driver and 2 others. We were driving down Highway 1 in California when an idiot in a car which had been parked just off the road about 100 meters ahead of us failed to see our car, decided to do a U-turn and we slammed in to him, albeit after our driver braked hard. I was in the back seat. It had seat belts but I was not wearing mine! Thankfully the only injury I suffered was a minor cut to my face where my spectacles had got mangled. And rather ironically my rather corpulent colleague in the front passenger seat who was wearing his belt, suffered greater injury which resulted in a few hours in hospital.

Regarding Hong Kong, the back seat belt law was introduced in 1996 at a time when no one wore seat belts in back seats. As with plastic bags, people were just used to not buckling up. Being given just two weeks before you and the driver would be breaking the law resulted in most people very quickly wearing them. I believe a short period of, say, 3 months would be sufficient before plastic bags are banned. If thereafter shops and shoppers would be fined quite heavily when found using plastic bags, I'll bet that would result in other means of carrying goods being very quickly adopted.

Introducing laws over a long period of time when there have been none before only results in people believing they will never be enforced.
traveller123

Post by traveller123 »

Speaking for my part of Isaan there would need to be a drastic change in attitude both from the public and the law enforcers.
I despair here of the number of mopeds being ridden without a crash helmet.
There are frequent police checks but nothing changes.