Bali's LGBT Pageant Held in Secret

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
fountainhall

Bali's LGBT Pageant Held in Secret

Post by fountainhall »

When I was visiting Bali regularly in the 1980s, I just assumed that virtually everyone on the island practised the Balinese form of the Hindu religion. I had no idea then or now that the island's council is in fact Muslim controlled. Since 1992 the LGBT community has held a Pageant at which the island's LGBT kings and queens are crowned. Last year, the council banned the event citing "rejection from the Balinese community". The local gay organisation Yayasan Gaya Dewata then announced it had been cancelled. In fact it had secretly arranged to hold the Pageant at a local hotel. Photographs of the event have only recently appeared.

Over the last two years the other Muslim ruled islands in the archipelago have seen a rise in anti-gay propaganda and outright homophobia, with government ministers and ordinary Muslims attacking the gay community. It is assumed that this is partly due to election posturing. A nationwide general election is due to be held in April.

https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/bal ... 3.UItjNTdA