Eros - Sunee Plaza - closing?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Eros - Sunee Plaza - closing?

Post by Gaybutton »

I saw a topic on the Sawatdee board saying Eros will be closing. That is not quite the case.

According to the manager they have no intention of closing. What they are doing is looking for a smaller location. They pay 30,000 baht rent per month at their present location. They are looking for a less expensive location.
Undaunted

Re: Eros - Sunee Plaza - closing?

Post by Undaunted »

Wonder what the chances are the bar closes as it looks for a new location?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:Wonder what the chances are the bar closes as it looks for a new location?
The manager says that will not happen. He says they will remain open until they find a new location.

That's what he says. Of course, what he says and what may actually happen could turn out to be two different things. We'll just have to wait and see.

I have no idea what kinds of customer numbers Eros has been getting lately, but for any venue if the customer numbers aren't there, there is a limit to how long the venue can sustain itself before it is forced to close.

Very simple - if people want the bars to be able to remain open, then enough customers need to go to the bars. It wasn't all that long ago when you were lucky to get a seat at all in any of the go-go bars, even when there were so many more than exist now. I remember the days when if there was a particular boy you wanted that evening, you needed to 'reserve' him, and if you didn't show up within a half hour of the time you specified, he was likely to have been taken off by someone else.

Those days - the golden years - now are long gone.

I believe the problems are two-fold. One is because the bars rarely do much of anything to attract customers. They just maintain the status quo - aside from raising prices - and expect the customers to flow in. When the customers stop flowing in, the bars change nothing about their approach. And these days, now they are also competing with the hook-up apps.

I've gone that route myself. I can't even remember how long it's been since the last time I went to a go-go bar. I meet all the boys I want on the hook-up apps and it is extremely rare for me to be disappointed. In other words, for me there no longer is a reason to bother with the go-go bars. I usually don't enjoy them, I couldn't care less about cock size, and I'm not a drinker in the first place. I might go once or twice a year, just to see, but other than that I lost interest in the bars a long time ago. That's just me. Many farang who also live here still greatly enjoy the bars and go very often - some almost nightly.

The other problem, as I see it, is the miserable exchange rates have caused a lot of people to stop going to Thailand. Because of that, it has just become too expensive for the customer numbers to be anywhere near what they used to be.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I have been in Eros no more than twice in the last 6 years. Both times it was clear it is an overlarge space - fine at the sides but with a lot of unused and probably unusable space in the middle. Finding a new venue seems to make sense, although I do wonder where that might be. Like Bangkok's s Soi Twilight, Sunee is dying. Take Eros away and there will be precious little left. If it finds another location within Sunee, is there really much chance that the number of customers will increase? If it moves to Boyztown, will its more raunchy, hands-on activities have to be restricted? And if that happens, what will distinguish it from the other bars?

I hope it can continue. Not because I am likely to visit more often. I am hardly ever in Pattaya. More because it is a reminder of a past which I think need not go the way of the dinosaurs - if, as GB rightly suggests, it can do a lot more to attract customers. I still believe, no doubt naively, that the original Twilight and Barbiery bars in Bangkok might have had a chance of survival with some initiative and ingenuity. They would have needed some toning down during Thaksin's Social Order campaigns in the early 2000s. But again with some ingenuity, they might have got through those years and later reinvented themselves without much change. Perhaps that is merely fanciful thinking, a result of remembrance of many happy times now long ago.
Jun

Post by Jun »

The Eros premises are about 3x the size they need to be. I would hope one of the smaller Sunee units should be available.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: I would hope one of the smaller Sunee units should be available.
What I'm wondering about is Madame Sunee's intentions. As more and more of the units become vacant, if she has had a substantial offer for the sale of the entire complex, it would seem to me that she would be likely to refuse to renew leases for the few venues that are left and sell.

I hate to say it, but if it were me and under the circumstances received a good enough offer, that's what I would do.
SP55

Post by SP55 »

Jun wrote:The Eros premises are about 3x the size they need to be. I would hope one of the smaller Sunee units should be available.
Wouldn't the activities Eros has as a trademark be a bit awkward if clients are cramped into a smaller area...
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

SP55 wrote:Wouldn't the activities Eros has as a trademark be a bit awkward if clients are cramped into a smaller area...
Personally, I think those "activities" are awkward enough as it is. Somehow I doubt those who indulge are going to give a damn whether it's a smaller area or not.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

SP55 wrote:Wouldn't the activities Eros has as a trademark be a bit awkward if clients are cramped into a smaller area...
Size didn't seem to hamper the activities in Golden Cock and even Nature Boys, probably the smallest go-go (sic) bar on the planet.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Gaybutton wrote:if she has had a substantial offer for the sale of the entire complex, it would seem to me that she would be likely to refuse to renew leases for the few venues that are left and sell.
I doubt she will ever get an offer from developers.

Who in their right mind would put up a hotel that large in that rundown location with virtually no access for buses or taxis?

Who would want the land for a resort similar to that being finished off next to Sansuk Sauna? Again in that location.

With the excess of condos available already who is going to build another high rise when there is virtually no possibility of selling them. See other threads.

From my condo in Yensabai I once counted over 10 cranes in view on building sites. Now there are virtually none.

And finally, in that location, it isn’t ever going to be another boring shopping mall!

In my opinion Madam Sunee is actually in one hell of a predicament. No rent coming in and no developers.

After all these years of Sunee running down, if there was a developer in the wings, we would certainly have seen evidence of it by now.