Guesses on travel time from Pattaya to Don Muang?

Anything and everything about Thailand
bao-bao

Guesses on travel time from Pattaya to Don Muang?

Post by bao-bao »

I've also posted this on Gay Guides, but at the risk of overlap I'm asking the same question of you folks here...

Although there are more than likely a thousand variables involved with getting from Pattaya by car to catch a flight out of Don Muang airport I'm trying to come up with an answer for a friend visiting soon for the first time, and any & all input (well, beggars can't be choosers!) would be appreciated.

He'll be catching a flight out of there early on a Sunday afternoon, and the best I've been able to gather so far is to allow five to six hours. That means leaving Pattaya early on Sunday morning, so maybe the worst of the traffic would be in Bangkok itself? I've never made this transfer myself - haven't even been to DMK in seven years.
Gaybutton

Re: Guesses on travel time from Pattaya to Don Muang?

Post by Gaybutton »

Of course 5 to 6 hours would allow for just about any contingency or unforeseen circumstance, but unless it's a heavy traffic holiday, 3 to 4 hours is plenty of time.
odd

Post by odd »

On a Sunday 3 hours should be long enough. Mid-week a different story depending on the time you hit the Expressway traffic around Bangkok-5-6 hours for safety I would say
aussie

Post by aussie »

I would go at least 4 hours before including check in and immigration processing. Sunday morning is ok but the afternoon would see many returning to BKK from their weekend condos in Pattaya. I avoid Don Muang Airport unless there is no choice, although flying out is better than returning there with the long lines at immigration and terrible taxi queue system.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

The real question is how much time does he want as a contingency. On a Sunday, the traffic could be quite busy with Bangkok residents returning home. As long as the car takes the expressway, though, I reckon he needs a maximum of 2 hours to get to Bangkok provided the traffic is relatively light and there are no jams. On a Sunday afternoon he will rarely need more than 30 minutes from Bangkok to Don Mueang since the car will already be on an expressway. Basically it's expressway all the way after hitting it outside Pattaya. Then allow an hour for check in and security - longer if he is on an international flight.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. This is a lunchtime flight out of DMK.

He's in Pattaya for a convention that weekend and has an obligation in Pattaya on Saturday evening that'll prevent an overnight in Bangkok -  that was my first thought, too. I'm booking the taxi for him so I'll see if the suggestions on routes help. At this point I'm just building slack into the schedule so he doesn't miss the flight from DMK.  There's still a couple of weeks before this needs to work.