Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Survey Expats Plan to Leave Amid New VISA Rules

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: Survey Expats Plan to Leave Amid New VISA Rules

Post by Gaybutton »

I think it would have been better if these new rules were gradually phased in over a period of two or three years rather than, out of the blue, suddenly imposed.

I don't understand why they made it simple for people who can meet and prove the 65,000 baht per month requirement, but made it so difficult for people who have to use the 800,000 baht requirement.

Maybe immigration will back off and amend the current rules for the 800,000 baht, but at present there is no way to know what changes, if any, immigration might make or when they might make them. If they do make changes, let's hope those changes will be a relaxation of these rules rather than imposing even harsher rules.

Just a guess on my part, but I have a feeling chances are the complaints pouring in might persuade the authorities to take another look at the rules.

I wish the embassies would raise some hell about what's going on. Are the ambassadors afraid to rock the boat?

I hope none of our board members will be forced to leave Thailand or forced to give up plans to retire here.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I think it is one warped attempt to foster nationalism in a political climate to portray expats as being problematic to focus away from the many Thai internal problems. “Bad guys out”!

The poorest expats most likely live on approx 20 to 30 thousand Thai baht a month with all that going into the Thai economy making their contribution to the economy significantly more than the average Thai monthly salary.

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/wages
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
odd

Post by odd »

How about this suggestion? Using the 65,000 baht per month method, I transfer 65,000 baht from my UK Bank to my Thai bank A/C by whatever is the cheapest means, withdraw the money and send it back to a friend in the U.K. He then sends it back to me and so on? O.K. there will be losses due to charges and exchange fluctuations-of course I might win on the latter! I am sure there is a flaw in this suggestion-can't be that simple surely!?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted wrote:I think it is one warped attempt to foster nationalism in a political climate to portray expats as being problematic to focus away from the many Thai internal problems. “Bad guys out”!
Well stated.

I couldn't agree more.