Thais Get Serious About Smoking (cigarettes)

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Thais Get Serious About Smoking (cigarettes)

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Daniel

Re: Thais Get Serious About Smoking (cigarettes)

Post by Daniel »

I received a text this morning (5th February) from a friend at Suvarnabhumi Airport. He was in a smoking room, as were many others. There had been no attempts to close the smoking rooms or advise passengers not to use them.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Smoking regulations in affect.....hopefully!

http://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews ... ect-245432
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

I can’t see,for one minute, any of the existing rules being enforced in bars/ night clubs.
If only....
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

It’s going to be very difficult in Boyz Town and Jomtien Complex to stand 5 metres away from a commercial establishment. At least in Sunee, there are plenty of dark terraces upon which to stand and smoke. That, of course, is if the police actually enforce the law.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Daniel wrote:That, of course, is if the police actually enforce the law.
Smoking has been banned in enclosed places, such as go-go bars for a few years now. Meanwhile the smoking goes on. The bars even still provide smokers an ashtray instead of telling them to step outside.

Considering I have yet to ever see or hear about the police actually enforcing that law - not once, not ever - gerefan is probably right.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I recall an evening at Solid Bar in Bangkok before its demise. One man was smoking like a chimney and had about 5 of the boys - the best lookers - sitting with him having drinks. The boys were also all smoking. The new smoking rules had been adopted and there were two very prominent 'No Smoking' signs easily visible on the walls.

Thinking of leaving with my friends, I decided to go up to the smoker, pointed to the signs and asked why he was smoking. He sort of apologised and put out his cigarette. The boys followed suit. So we stayed. A few moments later one friend suggested I watch out as the man was walking to our table. I had no cause for concern. He told me he was the part owner. If he did not permit smoking in his bar, he would have so few patrons it would have to close. Fair point, I felt. Only after he left did I remember I had forgotten to ask him why he monopolised the best looking boys!! :o
Jun

Post by Jun »

Smoking is only a problem in bars and then, only in some of the bars. Which I suspect might be because they already pay off the authorities.

Perhaps I didn't look hard enough, but I didn't see any smoking in Boyztown bars.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I think there is a very definite problem in at least several airports I know. They have virtually no trash cans except in the F&B outlets. So where will all the ash and the fag ends go?
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Jun wrote:Smoking is only a problem in bars and then, only in some of the bars. Which I suspect might be because they already pay off the authorities.

Perhaps I didn't look hard enough, but I didn't see any smoking in Boyztown bars.
You’re right you haven’t been looking hard enough.

Go into Boyz Music.