Why Americans are Flocking to Asia

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Re: Why Americans are Flocking to Asia

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton...thank you for the information you provided.

It looks like the IRS will still be in my life after all which is a real drag.

I've always made estimated monthly payments in the past and will probably switch to bi-annual payments due to the fact that my payments should be pretty small (I hope)

I have to be honest, I've read the tax laws over and over again and end up more confused than when I started. The information you posted appears to be pretty straight forward for which I am grateful.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone in the government could simplify this a bit...or are they competing with Thailand's immigration laws?
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I just use Turbo Tax and fill in the numbers and answer the questions. I've read all about the tax regulations for Soc Sec, capital gains, qualified and non qualified dividends and then forgot it all. Turbo Tax and I'm sure other web based programs make it all very easy. I don't even have to fill in a lot of the data it's now automatically filled in from my investment accounts.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Dodger wrote:I prefer Al Jazeera over CNN, Fox, CNBC, etc. for the mere fact that it's the only news outlet I can find that actually provides unbiased facts versus that biased over-dramatic made-for-Hollywood bullshit that the other news outlets provide. BBC is my second choice.
You have to be joking !! Al Jazeera is a state owned communications company and despite any BS they might put out there , they mimic what they are told to do by the Government that owns them. Absolutely ridiculous! Just imagine if Trump controlled the Media in the USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jazeera
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote:I'll always be concerned for America but quite intentionally detached.
I hope you will change that attitude. It takes less than 5 minutes to fill in an absentee ballot. Isn't that worth a small effort to get rid of Trump?

The "let somebody else bother with it" type of attitude is what got Trump elected in the first place. Maybe you didn't like Hillary Clinton either, but she would have been a quadrillion times better than Trump. My neighbor's kid would have been better than Trump.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote:I hope you will change that attitude. It takes less than 5 minutes to fill in an absentee ballot. Isn't that worth a small effort to get rid of Trump?
My attitude towards not thinking too much about American politics any more will probably not change, but I do in fact plan on completing an absentee ballot to place a vote against Trump. I was an activist in a previous life but those days are behind me.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote:I do in fact plan on completing an absentee ballot to place a vote against Trump. I was an activist in a previous life but those days are behind me.
I was hoping for this response. Nobody is asking you to be an activist. My own activism is limited to being a member of Democrats Abroad, my campaign contribution to Elizabeth Warren, and my posts on this board.

For any other Americans who think an absentee ballot is not worth bothering with, please bother with it anyway. The 2020 election is too important to ignore or just be apathetic.

Remember - only 1 year, 8 months, and 15 days until the next presidential election.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Dodger wrote:Maybe it's time to let the younger generations in America carry that flag
I had a long chat with my brother a couple of weeks ago. He was an ardent Brexiteer and voted accordingly. Had I been able to vote, I would have voted to stay. My brother and I often disagree about politics and so I was surprised when he said he was so sick and tired of all the politicking and lies over the Brexit issue that if there was a revote, he would now vote to stay in the EU.

My brother and I are unlikely to be affected too much by Brezit, assuming it actually happens, since we will be gone by the time it really takes effect. It also got me thinking: far more younger people voted against Brexit compared to older people who voted in much larger numbers for Brexit. Yet it is the young people who will be stuck with the result for far longer. In that particular vote, I tend to agree with Dodger. Those under 50 should have had a greater weight given to their vote compared to those in their 60s, 70s and older.

And that got me thinking about generations and politics in general. Why is it that people in their 60s and 70s are assumed to have so much more experience that they are more qualified to lead nations? Looking at the USA and the UK, all they have really achieved are wars, increased national debt, increased polarisation, increased international tensions and increased wealth for the rich. Maybe it's time for those under 50 to have two votes rather than one for the rest! After all, it's their future.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I narrowly voted for Brexit. My main objections were:
1 Britain makes twice the net contribution to the EU that France does. I don't see why we need to make ANY contribution beyond that required for admin. Certainly not paying for roads in Poland when our own are falling apart.
2 Potential free movement of all the middle Eastern types Mrs Merkel let into Germany. One only has to walk around any big German city to see how they are ruining the whole safe friendly liberal culture. I didn't have any great objection to free movement of cultures that integrate and respect others.

Now I would vote remain. Britain is incapable of negotiating reasonable terms. Also, with the Marxist opposition having gained ground, I want the longest possible list of countries I can emigrate to.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I agree about the finances. I'd certainly like to know a lot more FACTS! During the referendum campaign the Brexiteers claim that £350 million per week would not need to be paid to the EU was always an outright lie. The UK actually pays £13 billion annually because there is a substantial annual rebate. So the amount is far closer to £250 million per week. Against that the UK gets tangible verifiable benefits mainly to farmers and poorer areas of the country. In 2017, these amounted to £4 billion. The UK Treasury estimates that additional grants to universities, research facilities and the private sector amount to another £1.5 billion annually. So the total 'deficit' is around £7.5 billion annually.

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-memb ... 5-million/

I find it interesting that many voters in at least two depressed areas of England and Wales voted largely for Brexit despite the fact that their communities gain large subsidies from the EU which keep a lot of people in employment. Many of those voters claimed in a recent TV news programme that they had no idea they gained directly from EU membership. As a result, some said they would have voted to stay!

The politics of lies!
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

fountainhall wrote:in general. Why is it that people in their 60s and 70s are assumed to have so much more experience that they are more qualified to lead nations?
We all know that conditions around the world are changing at the speed of light due in large to the internet, the expansion of global economies and advancements in technology on all fronts making it impossible for the most of those in their 60's and 70's to have the qualifications needed to manage and make critical decisions in these environments. Experience is great but the younger people are the ones who are inventing these technologies and much more qualified to be making the big decisions. My 7 year old granddaughter knows more about computer apps than I do and I've been sitting behind (or carrying) a computer for half a century.

The older generation in government knows all about military solutions to problems where the majority of young people today are smart enough to understand the absolute non-value of war. Unfortunately, the young talent are polarized from gaining top decision making positions in government due to their lack of experience and clout in the POLITICAL SYSTEM. The U.S. political wheel which turns the government is archaic dating back to Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett and needs to be totally revamped. Only the young would have the required skills and wherewithal to accomplish this and removing the POLITICIANS from government would be a good start.