Why Americans are Flocking to Asia

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Re: Why Americans are Flocking to Asia

Post by Dodger »

"More and more Americans Retiring Abroad"

Source: New York Post

https://nypost.com/2018/05/05/retirees- ... ave-money/

According to the New York Post article most people considered "Saving Money" as the number one reason for choosing to retire in other countries, although, after they made the move most retirees said the biggest benefit was the "Enhanced Quality of Life".

So there you have it...Cheaper and Better.

Panama ranks # 1 for the number of foreign retirees which doesn't surprise me because they apparently started offering free health insurance to foreigners several years ago for this very reason. I have no idea what the quality of health care is in Panama but there are many Americans who would have to be collecting food stamps just to eat after being robbed each month by American Healthcare Scam after retirement.

The article also mentions the advantages of being able to stay in touch with friends and family members via the internet which wasn't available to previous generations which I think is significant. My daughter and I started connecting via Skype a few months ago which I have to admit really helps to close the 10,000 mile gap between us...and it's free!
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Jun wrote:Immigration in Tokyo can be quick, although is often not.
When I worked in Japan I was entitled to use the Immigration queues for Japanese. Almost never any waiting. As a visitor I have to take the non-Japanese queues when the waiting time can be half an hour or more. As usual it depends on the time of day. Early- to late-afternoon arrivals always seems to be dreadful as this is the peak period for flights arriving in from the USA and other parts of Asia.

The Narita Express train opened in 1991. It is fast, non-stop and takes only about 55 minutes to Tokyo station or 80 minutes to Shinjuku station. Trains depart every 30 minutes. I think it's great – a huge improvement in the Limousine Buses or the slow commuter trains.

Re newspapers, Japan operates a system whereby correspondents must apply to be on a Ministry invitation list. No others can get to that Ministry's media conferences. If you write something the Ministry does not like, chances are you will quickly be off the list. As Jun says, it's anti-democratic.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I also got to use the Japanese lane when working there and it is quicker. Although I had no queue at all in the regular lane on my last visit.

The Narita express is comfortable and by far my preferred way of getting to Shinjuku. I just cannot consider 80 minutes to be fast. That's about 40 mph average.

They might depart every 30 minutes, but I think it's less frequent for Shinjuku. Some head off towards Yokohama instead.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Dodger wrote:"More and more Americans Retiring Abroad"

Sometimes I Wonder if you think anyone believes the BS that you post. People who retire in the USA have medicare and I can assure you it is the best heath care in the world and it costs next to nothing. You want to talk about the rest of the health care system in the USA then certainly there are a myriad of things wrong with it. I can see the best doctors and I don't have to wait months for appointments and my co- pays are minimal if not zero. So there are no Health Care Scams after retirement unless you have the brain size of a pea and get taken in by some scam.

My Medicare cost is as close to zero as you can get . The amount is so small that they take out of my SS , that I don't pay any attention to it. One visit to Bumrungrad would cost more the my yearly payment for Medicare.

There may be many reasons to retire somewhere else then the USA but Medicare is not one of them.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Sorry Firecat,

I'm not taking your bait.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

The normal refrain from someone who has exposed his ignorance not only on Medicare but on taxes he has to pay even living in Thailand and of course News Organizations that are owned by the Government.

Take a look at how many people retire every day in the USA and then check anywhere you care and you will find best guess there are up to 400,000 citizens living overseas. The % is so small as to be laughable. More people retire in Florida every year than the total of US Citizens who have moved out of country for retirement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fac ... 70c1567cb5
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Please stick only to the issue itself, gents. I do not allow getting personal with each other on this board. Don't make me start deleting posts.

For actual Medicare costs, see: https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare- ... t-a-glance
Jun

Post by Jun »

firecat69 wrote:
Dodger wrote:"More and more Americans Retiring Abroad"

Sometimes I Wonder if you think anyone believes the BS that you post. People who retire in the USA have medicare and I can assure you it is the best heath care in the world and it costs next to nothing. You want to talk about the rest of the health care system in the USA then certainly there are a myriad of things wrong with it. I can see the best doctors and I don't have to wait months for appointments and my co- pays are minimal if not zero. So there are no Health Care Scams after retirement unless you have the brain size of a pea and get taken in by some scam.

My Medicare cost is as close to zero as you can get .
1 This is unnecessarily rude and must be testing the limits of the board rules. Whilst not reflecting well on yourself. I would suggest you consider an apology.

2 What evidence do you have that the U.S. healthcare system is the best in the world ? That is quite some claim with 180 nations (very very approximately). Life expectancy in the US is certainly lagging a lot of other developed nations.

3 The US healthcare system is considered to be very poor value for money as a whole and I believe it costs near 20 % of GDP, when many other developed nations are around 8-12% and getting better life expectancy. Exceedingly bright people like Charlie Munger have quite a bit to say about the deficiencies in the structure.

Please note I am NOT questioning what you pay, no doubt the Medicare programme for retired people covers that.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

You need to read my post a little closer. I could not have been planer that my comments were not about Health Care System in general but about Medicare . Completely different things.

Next this is what was posted . Americans who would have to be collecting food stamps just to eat after being robbed each month by American Healthcare Scam after retirement.

Not sure if it is ignorance or just given to ridiculous wide ranging statement such as the above that "The American Health Care System is a scam after retirement.." For most health care after retirement is Medicare and I along with millions of others think it is a pretty good program. Not perfect but pretty good and definitely not a scam. I have nothing to apologize for.
Jun

Post by Jun »

firecat69 wrote:You need to read my post a little closer. I could not have been planer that my comments were not about Health Care System in general
My 3 points were in response to 2 specific points raised in your post #76.