Consequences of Trump's Win - 5

fountainhall

Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 5

Post by fountainhall »

Which do you think is worse? A lying fixer or a lying President? At least some of what Cohen said was certainly true and creates big problems for his one-time congenitally lying boss. Oh boy! Trump’s mentor, the sleaze-bag closet gay lawyer Roy Cohn, would be so proud of his pupil. Cohn, it will be recalled, was the Counsel to Senator McCarthy during his communist witch-hunt in the 1950s. He taught the young Trump well before he died of AIDS.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

fountainhall wrote:Which do you think is worse? A lying fixer or a lying President?
I would have to wonder, has there ever been a President who never lied?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Kirk wrote:I would have to wonder, has there ever been a President who never lied?
Of course not, but to me it is a question of degree and the kinds of lies being told. I think Trump's lies outshine all the lies told by every president combined.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I have been in Vietnam for a week but have steered well clear of the circus up in Hanoi. So Trump and his regime changers have departed without even a piece of paper after cancelling a planned lunch wth dictator Kim. No agreement. Zilch. Nothing! And this from the self-proclaimed deal maker! So much for the special relationship he is supposed to have established and all the advance work by Pompeo and company!

As we have known for a long time, this emperor hath no clothes. Time for now to leave the Korean situation to the President of South Korea who seems to have been achieving a lot more success than the crook from Brooklyn.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Gaybutton wrote:
Captain Kirk wrote:I would have to wonder, has there ever been a President who never lied?
Of course not, but to me it is a question of degree and the kinds of lies being told. I think Trump's lies outshine all the lies told by every president combined.
Tricky Dicky was a bit of a rascal on his own. A large part of the Trump stuff comes from the Russian collusion allegations, yet even the Cohen dude says this didn't happen. Before I get jumped on (as my posts on Trump appear to show some kind of support for the guy) let me make it clear that if he takes a bullet to the head I'd break out the popcorn. I have no love for this guy, but he was voted into office legally, so America is entitled to suffer the consequences of his stupidity. He was very well known throughout the country before folk marked their paper with an X, therefore they knew what they were getting into when they chose this option. The time to get rid of him will come after five years, not to oust him for simply being himself.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Captain Kirk wrote:A large part of the Trump stuff comes from the Russian collusion allegations yet even the Cohen dude says this didn't happen.
It seems I cannot agree with any comments tonight! I watched a lot of Cohen’s testimony and questioning. I only understood him to say that he was not aware of Russian collusion - not that it plain did not happen. I hope that is correct. Of the many books I have read on the issue, including one by a Guardian journalist Luke Harding “Collusion: Secret Meetings, Dirty Money and How Russia Helped Donald Trump Win” - a superb collection of facts laying out details of the Steele dossier and the Assange connection - I am certain there is a lot more in this that will soon come out.
Captain Kirk wrote:he was voted into office legally so America is entitled to suffer the consequences of his stupidity
Sorry, again I have to disagree. As Cohen made clear, he never expected to win. He never wanted to win. The election was a huge vanity project that would add value to the Trump brand after he lost. IMHO there is zero doubt that the Russians, who loathed Clinton, helped immeasurably and in ways we will soon learn. We already know of the Facebook fake sites and goodness knows what else. We also know that no other President has sat down with an adversary, as Trump did in Helsinki, with absolutely no associates or Department Secretaries with him. What was discussed? What hold does Putin have over him? And I will bet quite an amount that Putin has enough on him going back decades to make Trump bend to Putin’s desires in ways the electorate may be surprised to learn. If he really did win the election, then it was election fraud.

Those who voted for him no doubt believed all his bullshit as many of his investors had, to their cost, over the previous decades. Fair enough. With more than a little help from Putin, he won and, yes, the electorate are stuck with him. But was it legal? I really doubt it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:As Cohen made clear . . .
Personally, I believe every word Cohen said. To me, this "once a liar, always a liar" stuff is nothing but nonsense - unless, of course, you're talking about Trump . . .
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

The total waste of time that was the Hanoi summit was summed up by Pompeo afterwards.
On the flight back to the US . . . Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said he was hopeful that officials from both sides could resume talks before too long.

"My sense is it'll take a little while. We'll each need to regroup a little bit," he said.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47408696

“A little while?” Where has Pompeo been all these years? Experts have been trying to fathom out The North’s regime for decades and got precious little. Trump claimed his special relationship with Kim had enabled him to get close to a deal. Very obviously he bulldozed into personal meetings giving dictator Kim amazing photo ops and prestige but without doing the vast amount of behind the scenes diplomatic to and fro so that both parties can approve in advance the ‘agreement’ to be signed. As usual Trump winged it just hoping for a quick diplomatic coup. He played his ‘trump’ card and ended up as the joker.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Captain Kirk wrote:I can't take Cohen seriously at all.
"I have lied.....but I am not a liar". Duh!
I can take him seriously. His lies were to protect the President and at Trump’s direction. He had documents to support allegations. He will not risk additional jail time for lying to Congress again.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

fountainhall wrote:As usual Trump winged it just hoping for a quick diplomatic coup. He played his ‘trump’ card and ended up as the joker.
I'd have done it the Trump way myself. Obviously diplomats have been talking back and forth for many years and seemingly have gotten precisely nowhere. I'd be more direct, don't care about the nuances of photo ops and prestige etc. Face to face, always better than second hand info.