More retirement visa problems - maybe

Anything and everything about Thailand
Bob

Re: More retirement visa problems - maybe

Post by Bob »

I think the incorrect timing and juxtaposition of posts is continuing....I made that post at 8:57 AM and it reads 1:56AM and, also, Fountainhill's 7:06AM post occurred long before I just posted. Seems like this all has to do with the internal clock of the board/website (but hell if I know!).
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Wonder what happens in my case. I have never had to make a 90 day report as I am always travelling before 90 days are up and the airport Immigration stamp equals the 90 day report. I cannot believe I have to present the bankbook on arrival! If they expect me also to trek out to Chaengwattana, I’d like to see that somewhere in writing before I make a stupid trip!
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

The form you are given explaining all the updated financial criteria has at the bottom a date 90 days from the time you apply for your renewal and it says you must return at said date with your updated Thai bank passbook, your are told to sign it that you acknowledge this procedure I have emailed a copy of the form in its entirety to GB.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted:

Thanks for the update:

Now at least we know what's expected (Jomtien anyway) for those using the 800k in the bank method.

I'll be curious to see if they impose any additional requirements for people using the 65k monthly deposit method.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

This is certainly going to be interesting. I am frequently out of Thailand - as I presently am for two weeks - sometimes for work in Hong King or elsewhere. I am not going to pass up paid work just in order to visit Immigration for a 90 day bank book check. I wonder why Immigration imagine that those on retirement visas, who can be only in their 50s and therefore may well still be working outside Thailand, actually live here full time!
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

fountainhall wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:06 amI wonder why Immigration imagine that those on retirement visas, who can be only in their 50s and therefore may well still be working outside Thailand, actually live here full time!
The way these policy changes were (and still are) being shoved out will result in many unanswered questions because of the different scenarios retirees are faced with. The powers-that-be in Immigration Management (and there too many) who had their hands in this mess simply pasted this half-baked plan down to the local immigration offices to deal with.

I have to assume that the local immigration offices are not happy with these changes either because it increases their work load, increases the traffic (additional 90 day bank book verification), and puts them at the front line in trying to answer a multitude of questions pouring in from farang visa applicants. All this, and there's no silver lining either because these changes could also put a damper on immigration's "side business" due to the increased visibility.

How are they (Jomtien immigration, anyway) reacting to this? Simple...they just tell applicants 800k or +65k monthly or no deal and wipe their hands clean. They are apparently not even bothering to do the arithmetic when applicants apply the "Combination Method" and simply refuse to acknowledge this method even though it has been approved as listed on the revised Thai Embassy list of visa requirements. In short, the penalty for all the flaws in these requirements will fall dead on the shoulders of the retirees.

As GB has stated repeatedly, the best thing to do is either have 800k in the bank or be able to prove 65k/mouth deposits in a Thai bank account or stand the risk of being caught up in this crap and having to contribute to their "side business" to get your visa renewal approved.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:05 am I have emailed a copy of the form in its entirety to GB.
Here it is:

The bottom part of the form is partially covered because it shows the name and telephone number.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Travelerjim informed me Pattaya Immigration now has a new queuing system.

Here it is:

Dodger

Post by Dodger »

The requirements posted above from the Director Division of Immigration lists the "Combination Method" as being an approved alternative, but does not state how much money actually has to remain in a persons account for 2 months prior and 3 months after visa renewal when using the combination method.

Example: A person is receiving monthly deposits in a Thai account of 40,000 THB which equals 480,000 THB per year - then (if interpreted correctly) they would have to maintain 320,000 THB in their Thai bank account for 2 months prior to 3 months after visa renewal. I believe this is the way the "Combination Method" is intended to work - but that's not clearly stated which will just add to the chaos.

I went to Jomtien Immigration yesterday for my routine 90 day reporting. Afterwards I stopped in the office in the back (special services) to ask for clarification regarding the 65k/month method. I informed the supervisor that when I apply to renew my retirement visa in October I will be able to show direct monthly deposits in my Thai bank account exceeding 65k, although these direct deposits took 3 months to arrange and they just started in February so I will only be able to show 9 monthly deposits. I was told not to be concerned as long as I could show at least 6 months of direct deposits that would suffice this year, although next year 12 consecutive payments would be mandatory.

I think if you talked to 10 people at Immigration you would receive 10 different answers but at least this is what the supervisor told me yesterday.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Received the following from Travelerjim: