New Immigration Requirement

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: New Immigration Requirement

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote:I get the feeling that every immigration office will be making up their own rules and procedures to accommodate these new immigration requirements.
It's more than just a feeling. They really do that. When you go to any immigration office you can never be certain as to what to expect even though you think you've complied with all their requirements. Sometimes the rules change, and that happens all too often with no prior notice.

This is exactly why I have been recommending renewing retirement visas a month in advance or as long as possible in advance before going in to apply for the visa. If you run into unexpected problems you may need time to come into compliance with whatever their latest rules are. Remember, whatever you do, don't try to argue with the immigration official. It won't do any good and will only make things more difficult for you.

Some people think if you renew the visa in advance of the expiration date, then it affects the next expiration date. It doesn't. No matter how far in advance you renew the visa, the expiration date will be one year from the current expiration date. So, don't wait until the last minute to renew.

I've also been saying for years that people contemplating retirement in Thailand or are frequent visitors, get a Thai bank account while you still can. Based on Trongpai's experience at the embassy, now it's getting even more difficult. Apparently, now if you want to open a Thai bank account, you're going to have to make a trek to the embassy first.

For Americans, don't forget that just to go to the embassy's American Citizen Services, you must have an appointment and that appointment must be made online.

For an appointment, see:

For Bangkok: https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/defaul ... &appcode=1

For Chiang Mai: https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/defaul ... &appcode=1
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

My retirement extension renewal today was uneventful at Jomtien today. Went to the VISA service adjacent to Immigration just to make necessary copies. There was no queue in Immigration and I was out in 5-10 minutes. The little Thai assistant that we've talked about in the past processed my application and papers.

No surprises, I had my Embassy Affidavit letter issued in December. They do want to see proof of residence (chanote, utility bills, etc.). If you are renter you will need your lease from your landlord.

You will be asked to sign a document about overstays and penalties.

I asked about what happens next year as I do monthly transfers to Bangkok Bank using TransferWise. Paraphrasing, they want to see one year history of monthly transfers (>65k), bank letter, proof of source of funds. I will also ask Bangkok Bank to provide Credit Advice slips in addition to their bank letter.

Can't say I am looking forward to next year. I went one month before my expiration date just in case there were surprises. Suggest others do the same.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thank you very much, Up2u. Many will be quite grateful for this information, including me.

What do you mean by Credit Advice slips? For me, that is a new term. I don't know what that is or how it will help in qualifying for the retirement visa.
puan

Post by puan »

Yes, Up2U, most grateful for your posting. Thank you for sharing.

And yes...what are Credit Advice slips?
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Bangkok Bank did a presentation for the Pattaya City Expat Club in February. Besides talking about Foreign Currency Deposit Accounts they talked about many issues pertaining to foreigners including sending money to Thailand. When money is sent to a Thai bank from a foreign source via SWIFT transfer or TransferWise a Credit Advice form is recorded by the receiving bank. This shown in the BB PowerPoint presentation at about 5:54.  My plan is to get these for my TransferWise and/or SWIFT transfers. I do not have a dedicated BB account for my SSN as my income comes from both my private and government pension (SSN). I have both income letters from both sources and I hope that makes Immigration happy.

Also is the full presentation with audio (poor).

2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Thank Up2u for the report. It is my understanding, from another Expat who recently went through the process in Bangkok and has a Bangkok Bank account, if you want a bank letter listing the foreign deposits (credits) to your account, you need to ask for a letter showing Credit Advices. I plan to ask for such letter showing my transfers for the 12 month period before I make my application. How long it takes to get the letter may vary depending on the Branch bank where you request it - so I hope to ask for it with sufficient time to receive before making my next renewal application, which I will do 30 days in advance in case of any hitches.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I was informed by Bangkok Bank Pattaya Branch that an Annual Direct Deposit Summary Report (God knows who invented the term "credit advice") takes about 10 minutes to produce. Understanding of course that in Thailand 10 minutes means an hour.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:18 am God knows who invented the term "credit advice"
At least we now know of the existence of the term and how it will help those of us who wish to renew the retirement visa using the 65,000 baht per month method.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:01 pmAt least we now know of the existence of the term and how it will help those of us who wish to renew the retirement visa using the 65,000 baht per month method.
Point taken. I didn't mean to insinuate that this term wasn't important for us to understand.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:56 pm I didn't mean to insinuate that this term wasn't important for us to understand.
I didn't take it that way. It's a strange term to describe what it actually is. I'd kinda like to know who came up with that term too - and why.