New Immigration Requirement

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Re: New Immigration Requirement

Post by Dodger »

Bob wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:42 amI am a bit dumbfounded when I occasionally hear that expats here have no means to maintain a 800k baht bank account here.
You must really be dumbfounded by the majority of people on Planet Earth who can't afford to keep U.S. $25,000 frozen in the bank.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Dodger wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:22 am You must really be dumbfounded by the majority of people on Planet Earth who can't afford to keep U.S. $25,000 frozen in the bank.
Really need to make that ridiculous comparison? As noted, we're talking about western expats who are mainly 60-70 years old, retired after working 35-40 years, sold their homes and cars (and whatever), and moved over here. That particular group is a rather small percentage of the "majority" of human beings you mentioned. And yea, in agreement with Undaunted's comment, I remain dumbfounded that someone in that group decided to retire if they couldn't afford to do that.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bob wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:47 am I remain dumbfounded that someone in that group decided to retire if they couldn't afford to do that.
Ok, now the points have been made. Please move on, folks. A debate about what people can or cannot afford is not the purpose of this topic.

If anyone wishes to continue that particular debate, please start a new topic and I will be happy to move the appropriate posts to that topic.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

2lz2p wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:58 amif you want a bank letter listing the foreign deposits (credits) to your account, you need to ask for a letter showing Credit Advices. I plan to ask for such letter showing my transfers for the 12 month period before I make my application. How long it takes to get the letter may vary depending on the Branch bank where you request it - so I hope to ask for it with sufficient time to receive before making my next renewal application, which I will do 30 days in advance in case of any hitches.
I stopped in at Bangkok Bank Pattaya this morning and was informed that the Account Summary Letter only takes a few minutes and the fee is 100 Baht. Those requesting this Letter (in Pattaya) need to go to the Foreign Exchange window which is just inside the door as they are the only ones at the bank who process these letters.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Dodger wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:59 am I stopped in at Bangkok Bank Pattaya this morning and was informed that the Account Summary Letter only takes a few minutes and the fee is 100 Baht. Those requesting this Letter (in Pattaya) need to go to the Foreign Exchange window which is just inside the door as they are the only ones at the bank who process these letters.
Thanks for this information. Did your inquiry include getting information on the period of transactions that will be listed? i.e., will they produce the letter for a specific period that you request and will it cover the previous 12 months activity? or is it a standard letter report that only covers a specific period (history of activity)?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:50 am Thanks for this information. Did your inquiry include getting information on the period of transactions that will be listed?
From what I gather from these posts is apparently, for the 65,000 baht per month method, there are at least 2 kinds of letters available from the banks.

What I want to know is which letter(s) shows that at least 65,000 baht per month has been deposited for at least a year and that the deposits came from a foreign source.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Chonburi Immigration Update.....TM30 & Retirement extension

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

2lz2p wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:50 amwill they produce the letter for a specific period that you request and will it cover the previous 12 months activity? or is it a standard letter report that only covers a specific period (history of activity)?
I asked this question today and was informed "Up2U": They can print a report listing any deposit history you request, i.e., 6 months, 12 months, calendar year, etc. The Statement will list all deposits made during the period you specified. You will see the international deposits coded either INT (International Transfer) or FTT (Foreign Transfer). Either code will suffice. If you look in your bankbook you will see that these codes are already entered for each international deposit you have received.

You will need your bankbook and passport to get the Bank Statement.

I plan to request that INT and FTT are spelled out clearly on the report to eliminate any confusion at Immigration.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Unless I have misinterpreted something, that audio from the local radio station, far from clarifying the issue, actually makes the 800,000 Baht route even more complicated! At the end, the announcer states that using either route proves two things to Immigration. 1. that we have enough funds to live in Thailand; and 2. in an emergency we have sufficient funds to cover any costs like medical issues.

That seems to me like nonsense and the announcer should have dug a lot deeper with the Immigration officer. Those on the monthly route can use up all the 65,000 each month before the next monthly payment is due. No long term savings required. So how do those retirees have "sufficient funds to cover emergencies" - especially serious medical emergencies - unless they also have medical insurance? Yet those taking the annual route must keep minimum balances of Bt. 800,000 or Bt. 400,000. The announcer tells us this ensures we have enough to pay for emergencies. Really? How come? For if we dip below the minima in the account, perhaps because we need major surgery and require funds to pay a high deductible or a co-insurance, I'll bet we end up having problems with the Immigration officers at the next renewal.

The two methods actively and seriously penalise those who prefer to take the 800,000 route or for whatever reason find it difficult to go the monthly route.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:46 pm You will see the international deposits coded either INT (International Transfer) or FTT (Foreign Transfer). Either code will suffice. If you look in your bankbook you will see that these codes are already entered for each international deposit you have received.
Thank you for posting that. I never noticed before. I probably wouldn't even have known what the code meant.