Brits Enter Embassy and Arrest Julian Assange

Captain Kirk

Re: Brits Enter Embassy and Arrest Julian Assange

Post by Captain Kirk »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:19 am As for Julian Assange, if his behavior in the embassy was anything like described in the article, I'm surprised they waited this long to get rid of him. I don't remember why Ecuador granted him asylum in the first place.
I'm not buying the "faeces on the wall" stuff. Sounds like 'fake news'. Loads of allegations there, no proof. I simply don't believe Wikileaks have a particular agenda against any country. Looks more to me that they will unload against any government who have something to hide - and that would be about 90% of them. Absolutely no question in my mind he will now face a kangaroo court in the US.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I am sure after 7 years Assange wore out his welcome not to mention that after several warnings he continued to attack other countries most recent the Vatican, the Ecuadorian government did not want to appear to condone his practices while In their embassy.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Undaunted wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:08 pm I am sure after 7 years Assange wore out his welcome not to mention that after several warnings he continued to attack other countries most recent the Vatican, the Ecuadorian government did not want to appear to condone his practices while In their embassy.
Assange hasn't been in charge of Wikileaks for the past year. The Embassy limited/cut off his internet access so he gave over leadership to some other dude, can't remember his name. Viva la whistleblowers.

NB
The Vatican is in dire need of being attacked.
a447

Post by a447 »

Viva la whistleblowers
Yes, I agree.

But whistleblowers must be careful they don't drag down innocent people along with those they wish to expose.

Assange did not pay due diligence. He should have carefully vetted the information and removed reference to those not directly involved. He didn't do this; rather, he just dumped everything onto the internet, thereby exposing a number of Afghans who were working as translators for the Americans. Others also had their lives put at risk when they were not involved in any of the shenanigans.

BTW, Assange is not a journalist; he's a hacker.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

a447 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:53 am BTW, Assange is not a journalist; he's a hacker.
For me, what a hacker hacks and what a whistleblower makes public is not the central issue. Causing harm to people or putting anyone in danger, that is definitely wrong.

But if some hacker comes along and posts Trump's tax returns or posts the Mueller report, no objection from me.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

a447 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:53 am
Viva la whistleblowers
Yes, I agree.

But whistleblowers must be careful they don't drag down innocent people along with those they wish to expose.

Assange did not pay due diligence. He should have carefully vetted the information and removed reference to those not directly involved. He didn't do this; rather, he just dumped everything onto the internet, thereby exposing a number of Afghans who were working as translators for the Americans. Others also had their lives put at risk when they were not involved in any of the shenanigans.

BTW, Assange is not a journalist; he's a hacker.
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. I seem to recall or at least have an idea in my head that says he has won journalism awards but maybe I'm mistaken.