GB's Annual Songkran Report

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: GB's Annual Songkran Report

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:08 pm There were a few with huge water guns
Meanwhile, those are supposed to be illegal. So much for that . . .
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Now I'm getting reports that some bar girls have been splashing people with ice water - also supposedly illegal. This is the kind of idiocy that ruins the holiday for everyone.

I have heard nothing about the police putting a stop to the lawbreakers.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Monday, April 15

So far on the roads it's:

174 dead
1728 injured
2294 vehicles impounded
71,307 charged for drunk driving
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

GB wrote:
2294 vehicles impounded and 71,307 charged for drunk driving
You would think the number of impounded vehicles would be much higher.

If 71,307 people were charged with drunk driving and only 2,294 vehicles were impounded I wonder what happened to the other 69,013 vehicles?

Today is the last day of Songkran in Buriram. They had a few Thai Super Stars entertaining at the football stadium last night which is the "Big Event" in town but Jai and I took a pass and just enjoyed ourselves listening to the music (boom...boom...boom) echoing in the distance.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

"Today is the last day of Songkran in Buriram."

I can't say how much splashing will be happening tomorrow but the 16th is a national holiday, added because Songkran began on a Saturday.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

mahjongguy wrote:
I can't say how much splashing will be happening tomorrow but the 16th is a national holiday, added because Songkran began on a Saturday.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. I guess my truck will stay parked another day.

From what I've heard Pattaya is very tame at the moment but it's still only the 15th.

I took a stroll around the village in Buriram this afternoon and love watching the Thais partying their asses off. They sure do love their music and the volume is almost as high as we used to crank it back in Chicago in the 70's. Now if they would just play some Jethro Tull or Uriah Heep.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:46 pm From what I've heard Pattaya is very tame at the moment but it's still only the 15th.
As far as I can tell it is. I have yet to see any splashing at all anywhere on "The Dark Side," although traffic seems to be a problem throughout most of the city. That includes "The Dark Side."

As far as I know the main water splashing areas are the same areas that were mentioned in posts above. In other words, the usual areas in Pattaya.

I have yet to hear anything about the Arabs doing their splashing around the Sunee Plaza area, but I have a feeling that too is the same as every year, splashing people all day and far into the night. If anyone can report about that please let us know.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Tuesday, April 16

I was only on "The Dark Side" today. Everything I saw was just about like any other normal day. I saw no water splashing anywhere and most shops and businesses were open.

Several restaurants had posted signs saying they will be closed April 18 and 19. Some in the city have already closed until after Songkran.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

No water splashing yesterday in my area of Bangkok. Several restaurants and Starbucks were open.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:22 pm No water splashing yesterday in my area of Bangkok.
What area of Bangkok is your area?