What board problems are you having - poll

Anything and everything about Thailand

What board problems are you experiencing?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:17 am

1. Slow loading
32%
2. SQL errors
5%
3. Both slow loading and SQL errors
16%
4. Getting disconnected
No votes
5. I'm not having any problems
42%
6. Other - please post and tell us what other problems you are having
5%

Total votes: 19

fountainhall

Re: What board problems are you having - poll

Post by fountainhall »

I already mentioned one issue in a PM to GB. Most times I can access the Board very quickly and threads open quickly. Twice I have had a problem when trying to reply. Usually I check on Preview first and then submit. Once trying to get into Preview and another time Submitting the screen seems to freeze for a long time.- at least a minute. I then get an error message. I tried various ways of getting the posts uploaded including signing out and back in again. On both occasions I assumed the post had not been listed, but each time I discovered it was there in the thread. Apparently my post yesterday about Japan and cherry blossoms ended up being posted 5 times and GB deleted 4. No idea how this happened.

The only other point posters might wish to know. It used to be possible to upload photos of almost any size. I used to upload pics of around 500kb through imgBB. Now gaybttonthai will only accept pics of 800 pixels max. This is really no problem if you use a site like shrinkpictures.com to downsize.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:45 am This is really no problem if you use a site like shrinkpictures.com to downsize.
When you click on "add image to post" there is a resize option.

You can also continue using imgBB if you prefer.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I did not realise you can now add directly to the post. Excellent news.
Jun

Post by Jun »

fountainhall wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:45 am ...... the screen seems to freeze for a long time.- at least a minute. I then get an error message.
That's the same as I get.

On the positive side, the picture uploading facility is a big step forward & will make it much easier to write reports with pictures, once the server issues are fixed.
Also, I suppose it reduces the risk of picture hosting services screwing up all the picture threads, as Photobucket did.

Incidentally, how does this work in terms of web server workload ?
If we use a picture hosting service, does it reduce the traffic on the server for this forum, as the pictures are coming from the picture hosting site ?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:21 pm
If we use a picture hosting service, does it reduce the traffic on the server for this forum, as the pictures are coming from the picture hosting site ?
As far as I know there is no effect on the board.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The time limit for voting on the poll has expired, however you can still post about any problems you are currently having.
Jun

Post by Jun »

The usual slow response and errors yesterday (Friday). OK so far today, but I guess the web server is not busy at the moment.
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Incredibly slow most of the time. Speeds up sometimes, but then reverts back to sluggish.
Some 'Error' notes, not a lot. Definitely annoying.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I am still finding the site often slow to load and still get a few SQL errors.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

I don't come here every day and I have an extremely fast wifi in the US and I have never experienced any problems of slow loading over quite a few years.

But again I probably only average coming to the site 4 days out of 7.