GB's Annual Songkran Report

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

Re: GB's Annual Songkran Report

Post by fountainhall »

Yannawa - quite close to Sribumphen, Ngamduphlee, Suanplu and Nanglingchee where there are lots of small roads, always with kids dousing everyone passing during the first two days of Songkran
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:22 pm Yannawa
I think that is the vicinity of the Malaysia Hotel.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I did not go to Silom yesterday but my BF did and sent photos. He said the police were confiscating powder, high pressure water guns and alcohol. My BF went with a few Thai friends and they all came to the conclusion that most of the revelers were youngish foreign Asians from mostly Singapore. It's not a Thai event anymore. There's also several on the expensive side parties that are not geared for Thais and organized by gay Singapore groups. Fake Club remains the only Thai Songkran party destination.

Babylon had two nights of foam parties with long lines for entry. I did not go but again got reports of it not being a "Thai" event.

There was last night water splashing and hosing in front of every bar along Sukhumvit, soi 4, 3, 22 and on the main road. If there was not a bar there was no water. Stay in the car with windows up, doors locked, no problem. Ride in a Tuk Tuk or motorbike and you'll get attacked with buckets of ice water.

My neighborhood is deserted. Everyone visiting family I guess. Traffic if you stay out of the bar areas is very sparse. That will likely change today.

Some of the bars are expected to continue with the water splashing tonight, the last night of the official Holiday but Silom is now reopen to traffic.
painai2

Post by painai2 »

Today, the 16th I saw many bars on Beach Road and Second Road throwing water on everything passing by. Plus, there were people on the back of pick up trucks throwing water at songthaews, making sure all passengers in them were thoroughly drenched. In the area of Soi YenSabai, many bars had lots of water throwing as well. I witnessed boys with water hoses making sure they hit the faces of motorbike drivers. So, if that's your thing, what fun! Lots of water throwing all over Pattaya.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

painai2 wrote:
I witnessed boys with water hoses making sure they hit the faces of motorbike drivers.
I'm a person that has actually enjoyed Songkran over the years and know that when you combine alcohol with all the frenzy crazy things are going to happen...BUT, blasting motorbike drivers in the eyes doesn't fly especially when everyone knows that 80% of the deaths during Songkran involve motorbikes.

I've had this happen to me countless times over the years and honestly wanted to kill the person(s) responsible. As over-the-top as this is going to sound, people who do this are committing "Assault" because water, when used like this, can (and has) become a deadly weapon. This is one reason why I don't go anywhere I can't walk during Songkran. This is also why I don't ever celebrate Songkran in Pattaya any more. Too many farang and too many crazy Thais mixing yaba with alcohol.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:35 pmI think that is the vicinity of the Malaysia Hotel.
Yes. Malaysia Hotel is virtually at the junction of Ngamduphlee and Sribumphen.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Wednesday, April 17

Last evening RichLB and I went out to dinner around 7:30 and we drove by Jomtien Complex. Despite that water splashing is supposed to stop by 6:00, there were still some bar girls out there splashing everybody they could.

Other than that, believe it or not, that is the only water splashing I have seen anywhere so far this week.

Meanwhile, nationwide there has already been more than 8,000 drunk driving arrests and the death toll is close to surpassing 300.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I have been going for lunch from my apartment in Pratumnk to my favorite lunch place beside Tuk Com as usual on my motorbike down Thappraya up 3rd road down Pattaya Tai and have encountered nothing however, normally I would take a shortcut through Sunee but will avoid Sunee during the daytime till number 20.....So far....so good! I believe that nowhere will be safe on the 19th so shall not go out if at all till 9-10 pm.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Water splashing has finally gotten started on Pattaya's "The Dark Side." There were several groups of children, and even a few groups of adults, busy splashing water. Not very many, but enough that if you were not in a car you probably would have gotten a soaking. I think tomorrow the water splashing activities will dramatically escalate all over town.

Those of you in Pattaya also need to be aware that many restaurants will be closed both the 18th and 19th. Hotel restaurants will be open if you cannot find anywhere else to eat. And some food delivery services may be open, but I don't know. Of course, the street vendors will be out all over town. Nobody ever splashes them.

Remember to protect anything you have that can be water damaged when you go out and about.

One more thing - the weather. Today the temperatures reached 36° C - 97° F. The skies are clear. The "feels like" temperatures are much hotter. If you do decide to go out and do some water splash playing, be very careful to avoid heat stroke.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thursday, April 18

Quite a bit of water splashing going on today.

Again the weather is very hot. I urge everyone venturing out to do water playing be very careful about heat stroke.

Don't forget to protect anyting you may be taking outside that can be a water damaged.