What board problems are you having - poll

Anything and everything about Thailand

What board problems are you experiencing?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:17 am

1. Slow loading
32%
2. SQL errors
5%
3. Both slow loading and SQL errors
16%
4. Getting disconnected
No votes
5. I'm not having any problems
42%
6. Other - please post and tell us what other problems you are having
5%

Total votes: 19

Jun

Re: What board problems are you having - poll

Post by Jun »

Dumb question, but how does one go about choosing a reliable web hosting service ?
Does this sector have reliable review sites, same as we can access for mobile phone or home broadband services ? (In the UK at least).

I did try google, but the review sites came up with a list of companies I never heard of and a live chat window appeared within seconds, so clearly that is just the front end of a sales operation.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:20 am Dumb question, but how does one go about choosing a reliable web hosting service ?
I've been with my current web hosting service ever since starting this board. It wasn't until they did whatever they did on their end that this trouble started. Until then, we've almost never had any technical problems and when we did they were almost always resolved very quickly. Until now this hosting service was entirely reliable. I certainly had no reason to think anything would change - but it did.

I would have moved the board to a different host service, but I'm already paid up for an entire year, so unless we can get these problems solved, next year I may move to a different host service. But if I do that, then I risk a different company doing the same thing and we could end up with even more problems.

Some have suggested I take up a collection to pay for moving the board right away, but I won't do that. I have never accepted money for running this board and I have never accepted any paid advertising. I'm not about to start now.

Moses says the problems are occurring because my host company put the board on an overcrowded server. He is trying to get them to move the board to a less crowded server. If we can get that done, the problems should go away.
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Oddly enough right now the board seems to to have been ramped up to F1 mode. Only two hours ago all I could conjure up was a snails pace, and numerous 'Error' notifications
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:33 am I would have moved the board to a different host service, but I'm already paid up for an entire year, so unless we can get these problems solved, next year I may move to a different host service. But if I do that, then I risk a different company doing the same thing and we could end up with even more problems.
I was kind of hoping the problem would be resolved quicker than that. Is the web hosting company under any legal obligation to provide a certain quality of service ?
I imagine any long standing members will put up with the slow performance, although it will probably discourage efforts to post elaborate trip reports & so on. New members might quite before they even explore the board properly.

Smiles wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:51 pm Oddly enough right now the board seems to to have been ramped up to F1 mode. Only two hours ago all I could conjure up was a snails pace, and numerous 'Error' notifications
Performance seems to vary with time. At best it's reasonably quick and at worst, nothing loads for 20 minutes.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:04 pm Is the web hosting company under any legal obligation to provide a certain quality of service ?
I'm afraid not. Not that it's any consolation, but it seems only a very few people are still having any problems.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Over half the people in the poll declared a problem and I haven't noticed a significant sample of those saying it's fixed now.
Moses

Post by Moses »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:54 pm I'm afraid not. Not that it's any consolation, but it seems only a very few people are still having any problems.
could we please to collect statistic what countries are located members with low speed of the forum?
Local private gay guides and companions
[*] in South East Asia http://siamroads.com
[*] in Thailand http://bkktour.info/
Jun

Post by Jun »

Moses wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:17 am could we please to collect statistic what countries are located members with low speed of the forum?
UK

I attempted to run a poll, but that didn't work

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I received the following from a board member in the USA, California I believe:

Still getting: General Error

SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Lost connection to MySQL server during query [2013]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I'm in Bangkok. Sometimes the Board works fast. Sometimes it is quite slow and a few times I still get the SQL error response.