13 Thais Missing during Caving Expedition

Anything and everything about Thailand
fedssocr1

Re: 13 Thais Missing during Caving Expedition

Post by fedssocr1 »

one of the British rescue divers is now missing in a Tennessee cave. So sad. They're not saying who it is at this point
https://abc7news.com/diver-who-helped-f ... e/5256366/
fedssocr1

Post by fedssocr1 »

good news! the British diver has been saved. The story linked has been updated
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

What a relief! If this illustrates anything, it is surely how complex and supremely difficult was the miracle of the rescue in Thailand.
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

On Tuesday, the video streaming giant Netflix and the production house that made the film “Crazy Rich Asians,” SK Global Entertainment, announced the acquisition of the rights to the boys’ story. The project will be directed by Jon M. Chu, who directed “Crazy Rich Asians,” the first major Hollywood film with a majority Asian cast and crew since “The Joy Luck Club,” and Nattawut Poonpiriya, a Thai director known for his 2017 film “Bad Genius.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/30/arts ... escue.html
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

“We’re going to do our best to accurately represent what happened,” Mr. Penotti [John Penotti, the president and co-chief executive of SK Global] said in an interview, adding that the company plans to film in Thailand and to “cast appropriately.”
I only hope that was said sincerely. I can't help thinking back to the movie "Memoirs of a Geisha" which rightly received many brickbats for casting three leading Chinese actresses as Japanese. As if Japan did not have a galazy of excellent actresses! If they are as good as their word, the movie should be gripping and as exciting as a whodunnit. I am relieved it will be Netflix producing. Other Hollywood studios would no doubt have a handful of slim, tall blondes somewhere in the depths of that cave.
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

Thai soccer team reunite with some of the Australian divers who helped save them from cave
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

My admiration for those kids and their rescuers just grows even greater when i see news items like this.
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

New (boring) video in which the thoroughly estimable Adul Sam-on is dragged halfway around the world to receive some bogus award from a mid-tier American college. He acquits himself well, of course, (he doesn't speak), but really, what's the point? I hope he had a good time, and, actually, I hope he got paid. If not, just please leave him alone.

fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

A nice short summary of what happened a year ago. I do think that the longer and much more detailed televised speeches and interviews with the two Australian divers are far more eye-opening and reveal the monstrous difficulties all the divers faced. I do not believe this tv interview with the Australian anaesthetist has been aired before on this thread (apologies if it has). It tells the story like it was - a miracle. Even he was convinced that many of the the boys would die during the four hours it took to get them out of the cave.

Do watch the following video from 21'35" to 26'28". As he says -
I didn't believe that any of the first few children would survive . . . no one was more surprised than me that it worked.
The one year anniversary was celebrated with a 12 km run and a 54 km cycling contest in Chiang Rai.

https://thethaiger.com/news/chiang-rai/ ... luang-saga