Brunei to Stone to Death Gays

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
fountainhall

Re: Brunei to Stone to Death Gays

Post by fountainhall »

Jun's posts seem more suited to the existing thread "First actual photo of a Black Hole in space".
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Proof, perhaps, that a global outcry and action against its commercial interests can affect a country's decisions. The Sultan of Brunei has (partly) reversed course and confirmed that gays and adulterers will not now be subject to death by stoning. Mind you, the laws will remain on the statute books. Only they are subject to an on-going moratorium. Hopefully the pressure will be kept up on Brunei.

It's all a bit like Singapore where the government retains the old British colonial anti-sodomy law but the Prime minister says it will not enact it. What therefore is the point of it being a law?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:50 am What therefore is the point of it being a law?
Selective enforcement. If the law remains on the books, then they can still do it.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:20 pm
fountainhall wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:50 am What therefore is the point of it being a law?
Selective enforcement. If the law remains on the books, then they can still do it.
Keeps the extremists happy. Politicians care only about money and votes.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

What I'm wondering is if they're not going to stone gays to death, then what are they going to do to gays?

Another fun country to visit . . .
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Yesterday I read one country, I don't recall which, was considering lashing.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Shariah law is practised in Aceh Province in Indonesia. Last year two gay couples were given more than 80 lashes. What makes the scene especially grim is the mediaeval uniform of those inflicting the punishment and the glee apparently shown by the spectators.

A crowd of about 1,000 people, including tourists from neighbouring Malaysia, snapped pictures and shouted "Flog them harder" as a hooded figure rained down lashes from a rattan cane on their backs.

The unidentified men were the second gay couple whipped in public this year in Aceh, as the small lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community in Indonesia faces increasing discrimination.

Aceh is the only region in Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim-majority country, that imposes Islamic law.

Public flogging is a common punishment for a range of offences including gambling, drinking alcohol, and having gay sex or relations outside of marriage . . .

The gay men whipped on Friday were apprehended by a vigilante mob at a Banda Aceh beauty salon earlier this year and handed over to police, the authorities said.
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-as ... banned-sex
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Geezer wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:09 am Yesterday I read one country, I don't recall which, was considering lashing.
No matter what country, I have never been able to figure out why they can't just leave people alone. As long as they do whatever they do in private by mutual consent, why should other people even care? The ancient Romans and Greeks had it right - and who knows what was going on even before?

Unfortunately, there are still plenty of people even in the USA who would have no problem at all about stoning gays to death - or even worse.

My message would be, "Leave these people the hell alone and mind your own damned business. Your business does not include what I do in my bedroom in private."
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Can I respectfully suggest you read my post in the thread - Terrorism and "The God Delusion"

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9666

It's the 'God Delusion' part that refers to your comment. The sad fact is that the three main monotheistic faiths all have the Old Testament as the core of their religious beliefs. Far too may of the adherents of these religions interpret sayings that came down through word of mouth over many centuries, if not millennia, by tribes which were fighting to maintain their very existence against other tribes. And they assume, without any shred of proof whatsoever, that not only are these sayings actually true, they are as appropriate today as they were in the mists of unrecorded time.

If I tell a friend a true story today, he will retell it a few days later but will change perhaps one or two details. And so on down the line. By the end of the year it will be a totally different story! So how anyone can believe what is said in Leviticus about men lying with other men surely has to have an even greater belief in werewolves, vampires and mermaids! After all these are relatively new creations from a much more recent past!