Warning (maybe silly)

Anything and everything about Thailand
RichLB

Warning (maybe silly)

Post by RichLB »

This morning I woke up early and when I went to open the bedroom door lo and behold the door knob just whirled around and the door wouldn't open. Luckily we had a house guest in another bedroom and when he tried to open the door from the outside the same thing happened. After 45 minutes he finally gave up and took a hammer to the door knob and knocked it off. Since the lock slider had wedged itself into the door jamb the door still wouldn't open. 15 minutes later he managed to do something and get the damned thing open.

I'd left my phone charging in the living room (on the other side of the door). If our house guest had not been there I'd most probably still be in the bedroom wondering what to do. So, my warning is to make sure your phone is with you when you go to bed so you can, at least, call someone if this would happen to you.
mahjongguy

Re: Warning (maybe silly)

Post by mahjongguy »

Not silly at all. Something similar happened to me once, though I had forgotten it until now.

I don't like having the phone in the bedroom but I'm thinking maybe I should keep a toolkit under the bed.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Agree that it is not silly at all. My worry for you would be what might have happened if there had been a fire in another part of the apartment. If your bedroom is not on the ground floor, exit from the window is probably impossible. Another reason for having your phone being charged in the bedroom and having a number in it for emergency use.
a447

Post by a447 »

Yep, I agree with mahjongguy (oh, how I miss the game of mahjong!) and fountainhall. It is not silly at all.

A year or so ago I found the lock on my bedroom door would not open. Luckily, I had my phone with me and was able to call the next door neighbour. I thought I'd just throw my keys out the window and he could come inside and open the door from the other side. But he couldn't get into the house because I'd left my keys in the hallway!

He had to literally break into my house with a sledge hammer and then use it to break down my door.

So now I always keep my keys in my bedroom, along with a hammer and screwdriver, just in case.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Nothing silly about it at all.

I always keep my phone with me, whether I am in the bedroom or anywhere else. You never know when some sort of emergency might happen. I'd hate to be in need of calling for help, but for whatever reason can't get to my phone.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Typically in USA and per code in some states interior doors that lock have to have a release mechanism. There's a slot and a coin or screw driver releases the latch.

In my house all the doors were fitted with key locks with jam guards. I'm told this is typical and the reason: to keep ghosts out! When the BF's family comes to visit they all pile into one room the smallest and lock the door: the reason, Ghosts! Now, I have a Pee House and paid a Pee Mor to do a procedure to move the ghosts out of the house and into the Pee House. Also had the usual canting Monk for a TamBon.

The key locks are a pain. Sometimes the door gets locked accidentally and I don't think I ever had all the keys to the all the doors. I am planing on changing all the doors. I have pressed board doors and I don't like them. I've been door shopping for several months and have not found something that I like but when I do I want non-locking door latches on all of them.

Of course, as I found out some time ago what I want and what the Thai installer wants to do can be quite different.

I also know that if you hang a small mirror next to the door the ghost will see it's reflection and get frightened.

Ghosts! now that's something silly to my Western way of thinking but I'm living in Thailand and it's just easier to go with the flow.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I sleep with the phone off, the only calls at odd hours would be someone looking for money or that someone has died both occurrences can wait till I wake!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

RichLB wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:37 am Since the lock slider had wedged itself into the door jamb the door still wouldn't open.
Agree with the others, this is a helpful warning.
I had this happen with the external door of a condo - twice. It is quite an old building, and what was happening was that the door hinges had started to sag, so that the lock slider had a downward pressure on it.
You might want to check that your door is still hanging level.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Familiarizing yourself with a few basic techniques for opening what doesn't want to open may be a good idea.

Whilst attempting to unlock, lift, shake, rattle, push & pull. A knife may be capable of pushing the latch back.

Also maybe replace a manky worn Thai lock with something more like a typical European lock. Those with a button to push to lock never feel convincing to me. [Presumably American locks are fine, but I have no recent experience of them]
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

In a similar situation, both my bedroom door and door to the bathroom locked themselves (must have been a ghost) . At first I panicked and looked for a key, but eventually realized (the following day) there was no key; all I needed was a screwdriver or equivalent to insert into the lock and twist.