Chinese Forced to Sell Grindr by US

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
thewayhelooks

Chinese Forced to Sell Grindr by US

Post by thewayhelooks »

News item from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-16/ ... p/11115498
fountainhall

Re: Chinese Forced to Sell Grindr by US

Post by fountainhall »

I posted this a few days ago - but stupidly put it under Everything Else!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9718
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

Great minds etc. Have been having a lot of trouble seeing items lately and didn't notice your contribution.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I still fail to understand how Grindr or any other gay dating app is a National Security threat. Even if HIV status is included in a profile, how is that going to be used by a foreign power, the more so when the decision to include it is the individual member's and can be read by one and all? It is, I believe, not secret information available only to the site owner.
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

On the other hand, President Dump declares just about anything a national security threat so he can bypass Congress and get his own way. Soon he won't need them at all.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I wonder what will happen when the Blued app and its 40 million members appears on Dump's radar. After all this is not only run by a gay former cop in Beijing, one of China's state companies is one of its investors!
Jun

Post by Jun »

I presume the US is concerned about people in the military or something like that being tracked. For example, I believe google phone records showed some Russian soldiers had crossed into Ukraine & gone to the launch site of the missile that shot down a Malaysian airliner. Other evidence apparently showed they were traveling with the missile launcher.

However, I would think any Grindr security risk could be contained by other countermeasures.

Also, all Donald Trump's meddling will have side effects. Currently, I believe Huawei are being blocked from receiving Android updates. That's the world's second largest phone maker & many of the Android systems go into Chinese phone brands. If this embargo persists, it's just going to kick start the development of a Chinese OS. The eventual outcome would be the Chinese OS on the majority of the world's phones. Presumably the exact opposite of what Trump is trying to achieve.