Mandatory health insurance

Anything and everything about Thailand
Up2u

Re: Mandatory health insurance

Post by Up2u »

2lz2p wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:22 pm .......

From the various articles, it is clear the new health insurance requirements will apply to persons applying for a Non-Immigrant "O-A" Visa from a Thai Embassy or Consulate in their country of residence. However, what is not really clear is whether those that entered on an "O-A" Visa and apply to Immigration for an extension of their one year stay will also be required to show they have health insurance.
It's clear to me but the key words are effective July 1st. If you have been doing annual extensions, be it an O or O-A, you are off the hook. If you applying for an O-A, after July 1st in your home country you will have to provide evidence of health insurance. I was advising friends to get their O-A visa in USA but now that may no longer be advisable unless they meet the 400k/40k insurance mandate. I hope that existing O-A holders that have not yet done their first annual extension will be grandfathered.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Up2u wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:41 am It's clear to me but the key words are effective July 1st. If you have been doing annual extensions, be it an O or O-A, you are off the hook.
Interesting assumption, but anything but “clear”.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:38 am Interesting assumption, but anything but “clear”.
One part not clear to me is if someone applies for a first-time retirement visa within Thailand, rather than applying for it in the home country, assuming eligible, which visa does he end up with, the O or the O-A?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:08 am One part not clear to me is if someone applies for a first-time retirement visa within Thailand, rather than applying for it in the home country, assuming he's eligible, which visa does he end up with, the O or the O-A?
Clearly an “O” visa.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:28 am Clearly an “O” visa.
I'm trying, and failing, to make some sense out of this. If someone is eligible for the retirement visa and applies for it in his home country, he has to provide a police report and proof of fulfilling Thailand's medical insurance requirements. Then he gets the O-A visa and will have to at least provide proof of insurance the next year when renewing.

If Undaunted is correct, if that same person applies for a first-time retirement visa within Thailand, he doesn't have to provide proof of insurance or a police report - and he gets the O visa.

If that makes any sense, I'd be grateful if someone can explain the logic to me. What am I missing? Guess what's on my "I Don't Get It" list . . .
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

G.B. since when in Thailand do these things make sense?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

If you are unlucky enough to have an O-A visa just let it run to its expiration date and apply from scratch in Thailand and recieve an O visa!
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Up2u wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:41 amIf you have been doing annual extensions, be it an O or O-A, you are off the hook. If you applying for an O-A, after July 1st in your home country you will have to provide evidence of health insurance.
This is the way I hope it goes but it's till unclear.

2lz2p wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:22 pmIn both cases, when the initial permission to stay, whether from an O-A or an O Visa, is extended for the purpose of retirement, then both will receive the same stamp showing the extension and will also have the word "retirement" shown on it.

From the various articles, it is clear the new health insurance requirements will apply to persons applying for a Non-Immigrant "O-A" Visa from a Thai Embassy or Consulate in their country of residence. However, what is not really clear is whether those that entered on an "O-A" Visa and apply to Immigration for an extension of their one year stay will also be required to show they have health insurance.
That's exactly what has me confused.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:34 pm That's exactly what has me confused.
I don't understand what you are still confused about. If you have the retirement visa, it's either the O or the O-A. Do you have the retirement visa? If yes, which one do you have?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:10 pm
Dodger wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:34 pm That's exactly what has me confused.
I don't understand what you are still confused about. If you have the retirement visa, it's either the O or the O-A. Do you have the retirement visa? If yes, which one do you have?
He must be in denial.