Brand New Retirement Option Bang Sare

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Re: Brand New Retirement Option Bang Sare

Post by Undaunted »

The first thing U see in my wallet is a card saying if I need help take me to BPH do not take me to a Thai Gov’t hospital (THAI & Eng)...attached is my Ins. ID and my hospital card......My insurance info is also posted on my record @ BPH.....I also have on my record a legal health care directive
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:25 pm I also have on my record a legal health care directive
I'm not familiar with that term. What kind of legal health care directive are you talking about?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:03 pm
Undaunted wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:25 pm I also have on my record a legal health care directive
I'm not familiar with that term. What kind of legal health care directive are you talking about?
This is a legal form that you must ask for in a Thai private hospital...It states that if you are seriously ill and you are not conscious you can stipulate the extent of the care you receive such as medicate for pain only, do not force feed, do not resuscitate, etc.This has only become legal in the past few years, if you are in a terminal state and unconscious and have insurance the hospital will keep you theoretically alive as long as they can and let the costs build up unless otherwise noted! I had a friend that had a massive stroke and he was a vegetable and was left to go on for 2 years.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I believe the technical term is a living will.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

I believe a more formal term is Advance Health Care Directive, actually much like Undaunted posted.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

windwalker wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:18 pm I believe a more formal term is Advance Health Care Directive, actually much like Undaunted posted.
That's what it's called in the U.S., yes. There's an even stronger single page document similar to a DNR "do not resuscitate" called a POLST (Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment) that is supposed to keep over-zealous EMTs from bringing you back if you want to be let go. An advance healthcare directive only needs to be witnessed by two people - it doesn't require notarizing or legal certification. Hospitals often ask for it here.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

In the UK, it is known as a Living Will. When I asked for it at Bumrungrad they understood what I meant. I expect there may be several different titles all meaning the same.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:54 am When I asked for it at Bumrungrad they understood what I meant.
If I understand, in Thailand the hospital can give you whatever forms you need, rather than having to go to a lawyer? Is that correct?

Does anything have to be notarized?

Once you've filled out the form, who do you submit it to?

Also, do they give you anything to carry on your person, so that any hospital would know or does a separate form have to be filled for individual hospitals?
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

fountainhall wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:54 am In the UK, it is known as a Living Will. When I asked for it at Bumrungrad they understood what I meant. I expect there may be several different titles all meaning the same.
It will only be used if you can’t make or communicate a decision for yourself. The legal name is an Advance Decision to Refuse Treatment, and it’s also sometimes called a Living Will or an Advance Directive.

Advance Decisions are legally binding in England and Wales, as long as they meet certain requirements. This means that if a healthcare professional knows you’ve made an Advance Decision, they have to follow it. If they ignore an Advance Decision then they could be taken to court.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:35 am
fountainhall wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:54 am When I asked for it at Bumrungrad they understood what I meant.
If I understand, in Thailand the hospital can give you whatever forms you need, rather than having to go to a lawyer? Is that correct?

Does anything have to be notarized?

Once you've filled out the form, who do you submit it to?

Also, do they give you anything to carry on your person, so that any hospital would know or does a separate form have to be filled for individual hospitals?
The hospital will give you the form only on request, it doesn’t need to be notarized it is kept on file at the hospital and you should ask them to note it on your patient profile, a form is needed for any hospital that might give U aid.