Mandatory health insurance

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

Re: Mandatory health insurance

Post by fountainhall »

Dodger wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:40 amit's hard to debate why they shouldn't do this.
I agree. But as I said earlier. how are they going to do this? How do they cope with all the new queuing at the airport? One to check which tourists have valid insurance and which do not. Another checking detail of existing policies probably written in a variety of different languages. Another for cash to pay for the policy. Another to receive of the policies . . . It will lead to chaos at airports unless it is a single payment in a variety of currencies paid by everyone other than Thais and those on long-stay visas. In other words, a general tourist tax.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:28 am [as I said earlier. how are they going to do this?
Maybe they will add the cost to the price of the ticket regardless of whether people have their own insurance. That's how they did it with their departure tax. I just hope whatever they do, it won't force people into those zoo government hospitals.

If there is money to be made, they'll figure out a way.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

fountainhall wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:28 am
Dodger wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:40 amit's hard to debate why they shouldn't do this.
How do they cope with all the new queuing at the airport?
Good question.

For those who visit Thailand for less than 30 days a Tourist Visa in not required so I guess the insurance would have to be verified by Customs at the airport For those visiting for more than 30 days they need to obtain a Tourist Visa before coming to Thailand. In this case, I imagine the consular who issues the Visa at their country of residence would be verifying insurance. Just a dart toss.

One thing that does actually make sense to me is the fact that tourists were found to be the leading cause of unpaid hospital bills - and to start to require retirees to have insurance and not include tourists would be more than a head scratch.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

fountainhall wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:28 am How do they cope with all the new queuing at the airport?
Obviously, they will have little green men in silver metallic suits assisting :!:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Dodger wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:01 pm One thing that does actually make sense to me is the fact that tourists were found to be the leading cause of unpaid hospital bills - and to start to require retirees to have insurance and not include tourists would be more than a head scratch.
From what I have read on Thai Visa, it does seem that the casual tourists were the ones who were incurring medical bills. A number of the older expats that I know of, simply dropped dead or died quickly. It would be good to know the actual facts.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

More of the same maybe?

Dodger

Post by Dodger »

The significant thing said on this video is that "Those who are already retired in Thailand on Extensions of Stay will not be required to show proof of insurance".

If this is true, then there isn't a single person I know, including myself, who has to have health insurance. Current retiree's are in fact "grandfathered".

If they would have said from the beginning that THIS NEW MANDATE IS ONLY FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE APPLYING FOR O-A VISA'S AND FOR PEOPLE WHO LEAVE THE COUNTRY AND THEN RE-APPLY FOR ANOTHER O-A VISA AND NOT INTENDED FOR THOSE WHO ARE ALREADY RETIRED HERE WHO ARE RECEIVING ANNUAL EXTENSIONS OF STAY...there would be no confusion.

It's clear (to me anyway) that they didn't make this clear from the beginning for the mere fact that they weren't sure what the policy was going to be and decided to use "weasel words" instead. Who know's what the end result will be.

Thank you Undaunted for your lightening-fast reporting and continued research on this topic.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:10 am If this is true
That's the whole point. The significant word is 'if'. I don't believe anyone actually knows just yet.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:49 am
Dodger wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:10 am If this is true
That's the whole point. The significant word is 'if'. I don't believe anyone actually knows just yet.
The only way that anything that has been posted on this topic will be verified is when people begin to post their experiences at immigration from July 1 onward.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Undaunted wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:28 pmMore of the same maybe?
More of the same? Certainly! And more confusion!

This guy is crashingly boring and frequently does not have to hand what he is trying to put across. To complicate matters, he states at the outset
”It’s so confusing, even for me!”
So why is he making a video about it which only makes the confusion worse? He even adds to the confusion by saying.
“Nothing is concrete. Nothing is in place. But from what I can deduce . . .”
So it's merely one man's deduction! He then goes on to talk about changes to “retirement visas” and states this is from an official website. Yet during the entirety of this extended ramble he refers exclusively to O-A visas. These are “long-stay” visas. They are not specific O “retirement” visas. And he wants us to believe he is trying to make everything clear for his viewers!