Why Are Thailand's Gay Message Boards Dying?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Why Are Thailand's Gay Message Boards Dying?

Post by Undaunted » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:01 pm

Some thoughts:
Few new members.
Few members are active.
Membership is guickly aging.
Thailand as a gay destination for westerners has lost a degree of luster.
Less westerners interested in coming to L.O.S. Low exchanges rates, changing visa rules.
Only 1 of the 3 boards is strickly about all things gay.
Topics of the world news are covered by the major news outlets, no need to see such topics on "Gay message boards"
General sense of boredom.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

ceejay

Re: Why Are Thailand's Gay Message Boards Dying?

Post by ceejay » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:48 pm

Few new members and membership ageing. Few young people use message boards. They use Facebook groups instead.

deanagam

Post by deanagam » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:07 pm

Some topics are recycled ad nauseum.
Perhaps Alzheimer's slowly and surely setting in among members.

werner99

Post by werner99 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:27 pm

Undaunted wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:01 pm
General sense of boredom.
Hmm---I think this board has many interesting and useful discussions

fountainhall

Post by fountainhall » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:10 pm

Undaunted wrote:
1. Only 1 of the 3 boards is strickly about all things gay.
2. Topics of the world news are covered by the major news outlets, no need to see such topics on "Gay message boards"
3. General sense of boredom.
1. Which one is that? Gaythailand has lots of non-gay issues and items, Sawatdee also is not exclusively gay in terms of its topics.

2. Why not? Gay men are just as likely to be interested in a whole host of topics other than the latest Pattaya gay bar news. And if you depend on the news printed in the Thai media, then a spot of real news and real background is of a lot more interest. Besides, who has time to read all the news every day? And of course, is there something that renders it essential for anyone to read items they have zero interest in?

3. My view if quite simple. Those bored in Thailand have one remedy. More to another country where they will be happier and less bored. Those bored with gay chat rooms have another remedy. Start one of their own.

I cannot understand anyone who is bored accepting the status quo and continuing with a life that is boring. There is a big wide gay world out there, much of it almost on Thailand's doorstep or within a short flight away. Gay life in Asia has so much to be excited about on a daily basis.

Jun

Post by Jun » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:13 pm

There does seem to be a decline in the volume of traffic on boards & the number of boards.

No doubt various factors. For a start, there are fewer gay bars to discuss.

Also, I see a decline in participation on boards in other sectors, such as certain finance boards and travel boards such as Travelfish or Lonely Planet. The later is very subjective, as I only look at the travel boards when after specific advice, however it increasingly seems that the content I search for is several years old.
IF this decline in boards really is taking place across other sectors as well, it might be structural changes such as competition for people's time from Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc.
Also, if an increasing percentage of page visits are via mobile devices, it's easy enough to read posts, but without a proper keyboard, it's much less tempting to contribute to the board.
Also visitors get the same access to content as contributors.

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:51 pm

fountainhall wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:10 pm
Gay men are just as likely to be interested in a whole host of topics
True however, they needn’t search a gay board for the latest headline news; as for boredom life is anything but however, a good deal of rehashed daily news that is on a gay forum is.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

werner99

Post by werner99 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:55 pm

Undaunted wrote:
Some thoughts:
Membership is guickly aging.
Yes, many members of this forum seem "elderly". I am one of them (although very young in spirit and quite young physically--I can still ski very well in the Alps...)

The "elderly" membership is one of the appeals of this forum.

The forum includes interesting discussions about retirement and health care in Thailand.

But it also has many discussions that might appeal more to the "young" and the still-young in spirit and body, such as cruising the go-go bars and discos, sex, etc.

Forum members have suggested why young people are not writing on this forum. Another reason: Young people now seem to have problems writing well in any language--English, French, or whatever. Some of the "elderly" people on this forum write extremely well. (May I mention names?: fountainhall, Trongpai, Jun, Dodger, RichLB, etc.) Since English is my third or fourth language, I appreciate the beauty and clarity of their English writing very much.

Dodger

Post by Dodger » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:26 pm

I think social media apps like Facebook, Twitter, Hi5, etc. are the main reason why fewer people visit and participate on these types of Discussion Boards.

Someone here mentioned the fact that some Board Members simply read more than participate due to the fact that the keyboards on their smartphones are so small making it inconvenient. I tend to agree.

windwalker

Post by windwalker » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:30 pm

Another reason may be "burn out" on the part of those running a forum. A great deal of effort must be exerted in running and maintaining a forum which could eventually lead the owner to quit?