Why Are Thailand's Gay Message Boards Dying?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Re: Why Are Thailand's Gay Message Boards Dying?

Post by Undaunted » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:42 pm

windwalker wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:30 pm
Another reason may be "burn out" on the part of those running a forum. A great deal of effort must be exerted in running and maintaining a forum which could eventually lead the owner to quit?
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe this board has been around about 12 years and as Thailand has changed so has this board. GB does this board all by himself with the occasional technical assistance from Moses and surely when GB is either unable or loses interest this board will end.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:04 pm

Undaunted wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:42 pm
GB does this board all by himself with the occasional technical assistance from Moses
Moses has done virtually all the technical assistance, especially since those problems started. Without him, there would be no board.

I have no intention of losing interest or changing anything about the board. I'll let you gents decide what is boring, tedious, rehashed ad nauseum, why there are only a few regular posters, whether this or either of the other two major boards are in their death throes, etc. I'm not going to get into that. Instead of the complaining and negativity about topics and posts you don't like, how about suggesting what you would like people to be posting about.

Maybe there are not so many active posters, or people submitting particularly exciting posts, but there are sure plenty of people reading this board. That's what I go by. See for yourself. Go to the 'Board Index' and scroll down. You'll see the list of registered users who have been on this board within the last 24 hours, and I have no idea in addition how many non-registered people regularly read this board. Most of these boards have a great many more 'lurkers' than registered, active participants.

Just look at the numbers. I don't make up those numbers. Obviously somebody is interested.

As for the topics and posts that apparently some don't like, what do you expect me to do about it? Forbid posts unless they are first approved by a select group of board members? Of course, even if I would actually do something like that, those who are complaining would still be complaining because they would have to read all those boring, tedious submissions in order to decide which ones should and should not be posted . . .

Best advice I can offer is if there are topics you don't like, then don't read them.

fountainhall

Post by fountainhall » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:09 pm

Undaunted wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:51 pm
fountainhall wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:10 pm
Gay men are just as likely to be interested in a whole host of topics
as for boredom . . . a good deal of rehashed daily news that is on a gay forum is
Again I have to suggest - why bother reading it? If you object to daily news items being posted here, respectfully I would remind you that, like me and some others, you have posted many links to draw members' attention to news items from a variety of sources. Most of these had no gay-related content and some no relation to Thailand. I believe it is up to GB to decide if news items are acceptable on his board or not.

I do agree that the volume of posts specifically related to gay issues in Thailand has dropped. I suspect that more general gay news about the region and the rest of the world have increased with, as one example, gay-related travel postings receiving a good readership and a good number of 'likes'. You yourself wrote in praise of one series of excellent travel posts by another poster, aussie, which included little about gay issues and far more about items of equal interest to many gay travellers including architecture and food –
Undaunted wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 9:34 am
aussie, I have read so many trip reports and so many are less than interesting but yours are deffinatley in a class of thier own!
aussie's postings are much missed. Hopefully more will follow soon. My own diary of 2 weeks in Iran was posted assuming not many would find it interesting because, as stated at the outset, sex was not one of the objectives. Yet is has already had over 6,200 views. Clearly it has been of interest to more than a few readers. A key point surely is how can casual readers be converted to become posting members.

Hopefully more posters like Trongpai may emerge to give more excellent posts on the gay scene.
Undaunted wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:42 pm
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe this board has been around about 12 years
I think is is just under 9 years around the time that Michael sold gaythailand and planned to close that site.

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:01 am

I certainly understand all points of view.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Bucknaway

Post by Bucknaway » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:50 am

Phones are taking over how we consume the internet. Speaking for myself I can't remember the last time I used a computer to view any content on the internet for my own personal enjoyment.

People today are viewing media designed for the smaller screen. Facebook, line, WhatsApp etc prove that communicating over the internet is in full swing but message forums have failed to keep up with the change.

Today it is far more easier to get the attention of attractive guys on the internet who are looking for money for a similar amounts to that which will be paid in Thailand. And it can be found without stepping foot outside your door. Thailand has competition and it's coming from the sex tourists own home country.

Also let me add that not only is tourism affected by the digital revolution so are our habits of going out and rubbing elbows with one another. We even Cruise online rather than take a chance on going outside and hoping to get lucky. And the best thing about being online are dick pics and knowing what the stranger you're talkin to is into sexually and what they are looking for specifically. If there is not a match you move on to the next picture.

Jun

Post by Jun » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:22 am

windwalker wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:30 pm
Another reason may be "burn out" on the part of those running a forum. A great deal of effort must be exerted in running and maintaining a forum which could eventually lead the owner to quit?
From my limited observations, the only NET* reduction in the number of gay sites was when Ting Tong closed. In that case, the members drifted away long before the board was closed & one would presume almost no one posting would be a big factor in its closure.
[*I shall exclude bitch boards & a couple of short lived boards].

Gay Thailand seemed to run into some difficulty, but Michael rescued the situation and copied all the content across to a new site.

We're kind of lucky to have 3 sites, with distinct differences in moderating style. My preference is for rude insulting posts to be deleted with almost zero tolerance & for trolls to be booted off. However, it's still probably good that there is some diversity of styles.

I also kind of agree it's no good complaining about non-gay topics etc, when the people complaining are not posting gay topics.

Finally, I would re-iterate that from the small sample I see elsewhere, message boards for completely different topics seem to be less popular than 10 years ago. Has anyone else noticed this ?

fountainhall

Post by fountainhall » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:17 am

Jun wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:22 am
I would re-iterate that from the small sample I see elsewhere, message boards for completely different topics seem to be less popular than 10 years ago. Has anyone else noticed this ?
Definitely true of the Thailand gay chat rooms. 10 years ago I was posting on gaythailand.com. Its Thailand and Beer Bar forums were much busier with a much larger number of reasonably regular posters.

My main observation of the three Boards still existing echoes those outlined by undaunted in the OP: the major drop in the number of regular posters and the near absence of casual and new posters. Even now that gaythailand is part of a much larger worldwide network, from what I can see the number of regular posters remains below that of ten years ago, although since that change is relatively recent, perhaps numbers will increase in time.

Bucknaway and others are clearly correct that many more people nowadays get information from their phones and Pads. If merely typing in the name of a bar or spa can bring up plenty of information about the establishment, why bother checking a chat room and reading through quite a number of posts to find the same information here? Indeed, the relevant GB post might itself appear on the google search.

As undaunted and deejay rightly point out, a key factor has to be the ageing of chat room regulars. The western farang nature of the Boards also inevitably limits any possible growth in membership. But then there is the ethnic issue. We know just by looking, if not reading on the Boards, that Asians now make up way over 50% of customers in, for example, the gay go-go bars. Yet how many Asians look to the Thai chat rooms for the extremely useful information posted here by Trongpai, for example, and by some others on other Boards? I suspect most of the new bar, spa and sauna patrons do not even know this Board exists!

Looking over the three Thai Boards, I can see only one member who is genuinely from an Asian country - as opposed to being a 'fiction' designed originally to fool two Boards into believing he is a young Beachlover-type Asian. Spoon from Malaysia is young and makes useful and interesting points on gaythailand. If the future of gay Thailand in general belongs to the growing number of gay guys from Asia, shouldn't the Boards be making more effort to attract a group of them as both lurkers and posting members?

I occasionally look at a chat site based in Singapore titled blowingwind. This has a huge number of members, most seemingly in their 20s and 30s. It also permits posts by non-members and non-Singaporeans. In the latter group, there are certainly a few westerners who are members including one 75 year-old based in the USA. The result is a very large number of daily posts on a wide variety of topics.

Blowingwind will not be of much interest to members and readers of this Board. The youth of the membership makes many of the posts both boring and childish. On the other hand, some of the information to be found there is extremely interesting and well laid out - therefore very easy to access and read. One of its sub-forums is Traveller's Hut. This has many pinned threads where posters can comment on gay venues and issues in cities and countries all around Asia, plus a general section. Its Bangkok Room alone has 165 pages. Recent topics there include a 1,400 review of Moonlight bar, a 650 word review of Green Massage and a 500 word review of Chakran Sauna on Soi Aree. Under Taipei, some months ago the forum had excellent and extensive reviews of both the Aniki Wow and the hugely popular Soi13 saunas. I often consult this thread when I am traveling around Asia for the information is far better than can be found in the Thailand Boards and in the various specific gay travel sites like travelgayasia.com.

It is because this information is so easily accessible without wading through endless threads and posts that it works. If there is one change I would like to suggest for this Board it is that there is a separate section related specifically to gay venues and issues - perhaps in two sections: Thailand and Rest of Asia. It is unlikely to result in more Asian readers. But it might bring more westerners both living here and visiting.

Dodger

Post by Dodger » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:18 am

fountainhall wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:17 am
Jun wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:22 am
... I suspect most of the new bar, spa and sauna patrons do not even know this Board exists!
Excellent point.

I've met many gay people in my travels around Thailand who have never heard of Gaybuttonthai, or for that fact, any of the gay forums. Building membership would rely on getting the word out to these venues. The last time I stayed at Tarntawan Hotel, which for years was the flagship gay oriented hotel in that part of Bangkok, the owner was not aware of any of the gay forums, although did recall the old Pattayagay site run by Alan in the last epoch.

The second challenge appears to be getting more members actively involved in board discussions. Currently, less than 5% of the board members actually participate in discussions.

Dodger

Post by Dodger » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:21 am

fountainhall wrote:
... I suspect most of the new bar, spa and sauna patrons do not even know this Board exists!
Excellent point.

I've met many gay people in my travels around Thailand who have never heard of Gaybuttonthai, or for that fact, any of the gay forums. Building membership would rely on getting the word out to these venues. The last time I stayed at Tarntawan Hotel, which for years was the flagship gay oriented hotel in that part of Bangkok, the owner was not aware of any of the gay forums, although did recall the old Pattayagay site run by Alan in the last epoch.

The second challenge appears to be getting more members actively involved in board discussions. Currently, less than 5% of the board members actually participate in discussions.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:30 am

fountainhall wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:17 am
If the future of gay Thailand in general belongs to the growing number of gay guys from Asia, shouldn't the Boards be making more effort to attract a group of them as both lurkers and posting members?
How?

This board has a lot of lurkers. I have no idea how many, if any at all, are gay Asians.

Board users find me. I've never gone trying to seek them out. If people, no matter where they come from, are interested in what this board has to offer, sooner or later they find it.

I've never been interested in numbers of posts or numbers of board members. I fail to see the point. It's the relevance and quality of the posts that interest me, not how many post numbers there are. The three gay Thailand boards are not engaging in some sort of post numbers or membership numbers competition. Most people seem to choose the board they like the best and if they have something they want to say, that's the board they usually post on. I have a feeling those same people read all three gay Thailand boards anyway.